Chapter 3

I stood anxiously on the concrete steps of the school as the bell rang. I thought about running home but the memory of Patrick's threatening tone in the cafeteria kept me glued in place, terrified that if I left he'd hunt me down in no time. I flinched as felt someone's cold hand meet the back of my exposed neck once again. I looked back to see Patrick towering over me, a dead stare on his face as he pointed out the car I assumed we would be riding in and walked away towards it without a word. I scampered after him grabbing the fabric of his shirt to catch up, his long legs carrying him much faster then I was used to walking.

When we made it to the car, I paused, awaiting further instructions from my new dictator. Patrick rolled his eyes impatiently, pulling my backpack off and throwing it into the cars floor boards. Without warning he pushed me harshly, forcing me into the car before climbing in himself. Feeling his hands on me made me shiver from head to toe, his long fingers on my skin making me uneasy. I fiddled with the end of my shorts as Belch started up the engine, pulling out of the parking lot and into the streets of Derry.

Patrick's hand made its way to rest on my thigh sending tingles up my spine. I was half tempted to push it off not knowing the boy well enough for him to be touching me in that way, but I was much to nervous to speak up.

"My house is on the next block" I said, pointing so Belch knew were to turn. He took the turn, not bothering to step on the breaks at all. I grabbed onto Patrick's arm to prevent myself from flying towards the windshield as he pulled to a stop in front of my lawn and put the car in park. I sighed, happy that the death ride was finally over.

I paused thinking of what to say. "You all can come in if you'd like. My fathers at work" I said, assuming that they would say no and be on there merry way, but before I knew it they were all hopping out of the car and heading for the door. I couldn't help but think of what an idiot I was for informing a group of teen boys that I would be home alone, but it was already to late to take my words back. I sprinted to get in front of them so I could unlock it, fumbling with the key before pushing the heavy wooden door open.

"There's food in the kitchen, eat whatever you want" i told them throwing my bag down on the floor before I jogged up the stairs to my room. I kicked my shoes off, pulling at my socks before stretching my toes against the carpet. My fingers met the hem of my shirt pulling at the fabric so that I could change into different clothing, a habit formed from usually wearing an itchy uncomfortable uniform all day. I pulled at my hair, yanking the ribbon that tied it in place out out and throwing it across the room. As I removed my top, pulling the fabric up my abdomen, I turned around only to see Patrick leaning against my door frame with his arms crossed.

I quickly yanked my shirt back into place as I watched him bend down, picking up the ribbon I threw and tucking it into his pocket before making his way over to me. My face must have been red as a tomato by then. I was so embarrassed. He walked over to me, taking a handful of my hair and examining it. That oh so familiar smirk on his face as he used it to yank me closer.

He grabbed my jaw and forced my gaze up to his face. "I want you to ride to school with us tomorrow." I stood there unmoving for what seemed like an eternity. "Why?" I asked, pulling away from his touch and looking down at my feet. I hadn't wanted to ride with him today, why on earth would I do it again tomorrow.

He yanked my chin up again, now wearing an angry glare on his face. "Because I fucking said so" he growled his grip on my face now almost painfully tight. I nodded quickly, giving into his demands so that he would let me go. "Tomorrow, 7:00" he said before releasing the death grip he had on me and exiting the room without another word. My heartbeat was so loud I'm surprised he couldn't hear it racing inside my chest.

What was I going to do?