Chapter 22

Peters POV

As I approached the building to pick up my dear Jane my palms began to sweat. I was so nervous, she hadn't left the asylum for a long time now and I didn't know how she would react to being at home again. My shoes echoed loudly against the tile floor as I made my way once again to the day room. As I entered I noticed Jane sitting at the same table she always did, a steaming cup of tea between her dainty hands.

I pulled out the chair beside her and took a seat. Immediately she smiled and took my hand. "Good morning darling! I've missed you." she said excitedly scooting her chair closer to mine. "I've missed you too. Are you excited to be able to come home with me?" I asked her hesitantly rubbing my thumb against the back of her hand. She nodded her head vigorously as a large grin spread even bigger across her face.

"I can't wait to see all my things peter. Or anything but this place honestly" she replied tucking a chunk of hair behind her ear as she sipped from her teacup. "I told poppy about the news" I blurted out regretting it immediately. Jane got very still, teacup frozen in mid air inches from her lips. Her eyebrows scrunched together as if she was thinking about something with great effort.

"Poppy?" She repeated sounding confused. "Yes, poppy. do you remember who that is?" I asked pulling the cup out of her hand and placing it back in the saucer. "No, should I?" She asked me. As her eyes met mine I knew she wasn't joking, she didn't remember who poppy was. "We can discuss that another time. How about we go gather your things and get the ok from the doctor so we can go, aye?" I said guiding her to stand up. "Yes, that sounds just perfect" she said hooking her frail arm through mine.

When we made it to her room to get her her belongings I noticed that it was all already packed, most likely done by her in the middle of the night, she had always been a night owl in that way. After carrying the luggage to the front and getting the ok from the doctor we finally made our way out the front doors. As soon as we walked out the door I hailed a cab and we hopped inside. Jane gripped my arm nervously the whole ride, squeezing harder at every turn and bump in the road.

Once we finally pulled up in front of the house I unloaded the bags and hurried to unlock to door holding it open for her to walk inside before setting the bags by the door and closing it. "Oh I've missed this house so much" she laughed running her fingers against the stairs banister.

She walked around looking at everything before she entered the kitchen. I heard a loud gasp and quickly sprinted in after her. She stood over the spot where the accident had happened looking at the knife marks in the cracked tiles that where still on the floor. "What happened to the floor?" she asked looking completely shocked. I decided it would be best not to talk about that today. I wrapped my arm around her waist placing a kiss on her temple.

"Let's go out to the garden love. The fresh air will be good for you"