Chapter 16

Poppy's POV

It was so loud i felt like my head might explode from the sheer noise. The music vibrated the house as I made my way through the crowd trying to find Patrick, or any of the boys for that matter. I had gone to the bathroom for 2 seconds and now I couldn't find them to save my life. They were probably off tormenting someone or smoking, those seemed to be there 2 favorite hobbies.

I felt so out of place, everyone at this party was in the grade ahead of me, including the boys. I felt like a tadpole in a pool full of sharks. I stumbled as a drunken guy fell in my direction, landing at my feet. "My bad" he chuckled, rolling over and pushing himself off the floor, heading back for the ping pong table which was covered in red solo cups.

I continued my way through the crowd of sweaty body's, standing on my toes trying to see if I could spot who I was looking for. I pushed my way into the less crowded kitchen, letting out a sigh of relief from finally having some space away from all the clammy teenage skin.

Immediately I spotted a girl, short red hair, out of the corner of my eye. Beverly marsh, I believed was her name. She stood alone next to the fridge, a cup in her hands. I had spoken to her a couple of times, we were after all partners in chemistry.

I knew that she had been one of bowers targets when she was younger along with a group of boys that she hung out with. They were in the grade below me but Beverly always seemed pretty mature for her age.

I shuffled my way over to her and leaned against the counter next to were she stood staring at the ground. I nudged her with my shoulder, getting her attention.

"Oh hey, Poppy," She laughed turning to me. "what's up? What are you doing here? You never really seemed like the party type to me." she laughed taking a drink. "I'm not really, but we're here for a good time not a long time, aye?" I replied jokingly, tucking some stray hair behind my ear awkwardly. Beverly laughed once again, clearly foggy from all the alcohol. "I'm gonna make you a drink" she giggled, pulling my towards where bottles had been lined up along the counter. Hesitantly I agreed.

I had gotten drunk before in the past, the first time on my 13th birthday when my school friends had been sleeping over. I stole a random bottle from fathers liquor cabinet and took it upstairs to my room.

She gave a big toothy smile as she handed me the finished drink proudly. I took the first sip and it burned its way down my throat. I scrunched my face up, coughing a bit from the warmth I felt in my chest. "To strong?" She questioned covering her mouth to contain her laughter. I shook my head quickly, not wanting to hurt her feelings. "No! No, it's great"

We stood there for a while taking drinks from our cups until we reached the bottom, talking about anything that popped into our heads. "Wanna take shots with me?" she questioned excitedly, tossing her cup and grabbing two little glasses. I wasn't really feeling anything yet, so I agreed. As we took the first shot, I shivered hard, the burning feeling returning to my body and pooling in my belly. Jokingly we started a competition to see who could take the most. Honestly, I stopped counting after 3.

After a while I started to feel a bit strange. Having to grab the edge of the counter to stabilize myself. "Holy Hell" I giggled. Beverly was in the middle of a laughing fit as she did her best to ask if I was ok. "Oh my god you took so many! Maybe we should have gone slower, you don't drink much do you?" she said as she tossed another one back. I shook my head which again caused me to almost topple over.

"Here I'll get you some water, just wait right there" she said holding up a finger as she went to go get a new cup. "Poppy!" I heard a familiar voice call from across the room. I turned and looked to see where it came from and spotted Patrick aggressively shoving his way across the pool of dancing teens. Oh shit.