13. Mason; I like you

My day dragged by worse than I was expecting it to. I was irritable with customers even after being on my final warning and the threat of my job looming over my head I just needed today to be over. I’d been in even more of a state when my alarm went off this morning. I lay in bed trying to decide if I should make extra effort today or not. I wanted Brandon to look at me and feel how he did on Saturday. I wanted him to not see me and decide I wasn’t worth it. But I didn’t want to look as though I didn’t care, like I hadn’t been scared hopeless since Saturday. I decided to just do what I’d normally do after all Brandon had seen me in every possible state over the past almost three years and non of that had stopped him the other day... it was his car that had.

So I was now locking up at 12 minutes past five wearing my usual black jeans and my black work t-shirt that had my work logo on the chest while being distracted by every sound of a car driving past listening for any pulling into the now empty car park. Once the shop was locked I couldn’t help pull my phone from my pocket to make sure he hadn’t messaged that he had changed his mind that I might of missed. Nothing so I pushed it safety back into my jeans before reaching up for the shutters to pull down. They were old and scratchy grinding agaisnt the mechanics as I did it making me clench my teeth at the sound in discomfort. They faulted to a stop as they caught on something like always I gave it that extra tug to make it slip loose only this time it came without much effort normally I have to yank it a couple of times. I checked to my side to see who had obviously given me a hand smiling shyly back at me was Brandon. His hair was untidy and unwashed pushed over the back of his head falling however it wanted. He had rings under his eyes like he hadn’t been sleeping much and his jaw was covered in his still thin stubble. I gave him a smile in return my stomach flurrying with nerves making me turn away and pull the shutters completely closed bending down I locked the padlock.

When I stood back up and pocketed the keys I couldn’t help but take another look at him slowly letting my eyes travel his body. He was wearing smart blue trousers so tight they hugged his thick thighs leaving little room for movement. His baby blue shirt was tucked under a brown belt just as snugly the top few buttons undone his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He was still smiling when I met his eyes but he quickly looked down to the floor embarrassed. I suppose it’s more obvious now when I check him out. “I thought we could go for a walk?” He asked breaking me from my thoughts.

“Yeah you lead the way.” I held my hand out for him to start walking and he did me following behind lost in my own thoughts as he walked in silence. We had been walking maybe ten minutes and neither of us had said anything.

He had took us out of town altogether and I think he was heading to somewhere quiet. Hopefully where we would talk and not stand blank. He took a left down some small pathway turning to make sure I was following as he stepped over some large branches that were on the pathway. My vans were going to be filthy after this, the floor was covered in dusk from how dry the dirt was here under a few trees. I’d never been here before. Soon the pathway became harder to walk roots from the trees tangling from out the floor twisting and winding around each other and then back under ground. I took my eyes off where I was stepping for a second to see what shoes Brandon was wearing. Of course he hadn’t prepared either wearing a pair of brown brouges of all things. It made me smile how impracticable he is though. The smile quickly being lost as I tripped over a branch loosing my balance I stumbled forward my arms already out in front of me to stop me smashing my face. Brandon was facing me in an instant his face as serious as mine until I caught myself, on his out reached arm. We both broke out into smiles small laughs leaving our lips as we realised how stupid this was.

“Mind your step.” He teased with a wink. I didn’t give myself chance to respond though I looked back to the floor concentrating on what I was doing. After another minute of walking Brandon stopped.