Chapter 10 - Taking Shelter

Adrian

I'm kissing Sofia. Sofia is kissing me. We're kissing each other. It's a medley of kisses I never thought I would experience, especially after how this night turned out. I've waited almost four long years for this and it's even more incredible than I thought it would be.

I can feel the air slowly filling my lungs with each kiss and I think I might be breathing for the first time. She's not taking my breath away, she's already done that countless times in the past. This time she's giving it to me, breathing life into me.

She's giving me my life back.

She took it with her when she left, and now she's bestowed it upon me once again. It's a gift and an honor she's presented me with. I've never felt more alive than in this moment. And I never want it to end.

I feel her tremble against me and it shakes me to the core. I don't want to pull away from her but I know she must be freezing. I'm freezing and she's half my size so that can't be good. Our clothes are completely soaked from the rain and her hair practically feels like ice. I know this because I can't stop running my fingers through it even with the slight burn on my fingertips.

But everything is moving so fast and I need to slow down. There are still so many things unspoken between us. We've been tiptoeing around it since she's been back, but today it finally culminated and it all came to the surface like a chemical reaction. The last thing I want is to push her and scare her away. This already feels like a huge step and I can't fuck this up.

I gradually bring my euphoria to an end and rest my forehead against hers. She sighs and I can sense her disappointment. She didn't want to stop either.

"You're trembling, darling," I tell her. It feels like ages since either of us last spoke.

"Oh. Sorry," she says a little breathless. "Your jeans are freezing."

"Shit, I didn't realize." Of course she would be freezing her ass off. She's sitting on my lap with bare legs because of those sexy little shorts she's wearing. I quickly move her and set her to my side in the backseat. I look for the car keys I dropped somewhere in our haste to get in, and when I find them I lean over to the front of the car and stick them in the ignition, turning the heat on to full blast.

I adjust the vents in the back so that they are facing her, but she still looks pretty damn cold. She has her hands wrapped around her arms and is still shivering. I reach over to her and rub her arms up and down but I know that's not going to work. She's barely wearing any clothes and most of her skin is exposed.

"Do you want to sit up front? I think it might be warmer," I offer.

She quickly shakes her head. "I like it back here," she grins.

"I like it, too." From now on I know I'll never be able to look at this jeep the same way, especially when sitting in the back.

I suddenly remember my soccer bag is in the trunk, ready for practice tomorrow. I lean over to get it and rummage through it while Sofia looks at me curiously.

"You're in luck. I got the full gear. Sweatshirt, t-shirt, and gym shorts. What do you prefer? Or do you want all of them? Don't worry, they're clean."

She smiles at me. "I'll take the sweatshirt, please. You can have the rest."

"Are you sure? You don't want the shorts?"

"No, you need them more than I do. Mine are surprisingly okay. I guess they are a little small," she says with a slight blush.

"You won't see me complaining," I say, handing her the sweatshirt.