Chapter 21 - The Escape

Sofia

I don’t really know where I’m going yet, but I know I need to get out of here. Before I break down in tears for the third time today.

I can’t handle it anymore. My heart feels like it’s going to burst and as painful as it felt the first two times, I know I won’t be able to survive this one. I already found out today that I almost lost him, but now it’s just a matter of time before that happens again.

I find myself in the kitchen, grabbing the keys to the jeep. On a whim I grab a second pair of keys, an idea already forming in my mind of where I want to go. I just don’t know if I’ll be brave enough to do it.

I head towards the garage and jump in the car. I realize I don’t have anything else on me, not even my driver’s license that I’ve hardly had occasion to use or my cell phone. I think I may have some cash in my pocket, but it can’t be more than 40 Euros.

Great planning, Sofia.

But I can’t bring myself to care about any of it. I need to leave. I can figure it all out later somehow.

I adjust the rearview mirror and stick the key into the ignition with trembling hands. God, what type of eighteen year old barely knows how to drive? I’m so useless and pathetic I can’t seem to do anything on my own. An image of Adrian’s parents crashing to their death plays in my head and it paralyzes me. I’ve had a fear of driving all my life, but this just grips me to the core.

I try to shake it off as I put the gear in drive. My foot is about to reach for the accelerator, when the door to my side suddenly rips open and it causes me to scream in fear.

A hand reaches over my mouth to silence me and I instantly panic.

“Shh, Sofia.”

I relax somewhat when I realize it’s Adrian, but he’s looking at me with such a hurtful expression that I’m still in panic. I think I’ve really done it this time. Completely shattered his trust. He drops his hand from my mouth and reaches over me to put the car back in park.

“Move to the passenger seat,” he instructs in a low voice. “You’re in no condition to drive.”

What? He wants to come with me? I was prepared for him to yank me out of the car and give me a lecture on how I’m a complete danger to myself.

“Now, Sofia.”

He says it in a calm voice, but I can tell he’s really reining in his anger. I move to the passenger seat and he hops in, putting the gear back in drive and driving out of the garage faster than I can put my seat belt on.

He quickly makes it out of our neighborhood, adjusting the rearview mirror back in place and putting his seat belt on along the way. Once we’re about to reach the highway to the city, he pulls over and stops the car.

He sighs and looks over at me. He looks so hurt and disappointed, I can barely keep eye contact with him I’m so ashamed. I regret that I didn’t stop to think how this would affect him.

“When are you going to stop running away from me, Sofia? You can’t do this to me anymore,” he says in a painful voice.

“I wasn’t running away from you, Adrian. I just couldn’t be in there and needed to leave,” I explain.

“So you tell me that. You don’t just leave. We’re a team. I’m on your side. After everything, don’t you get that?”

“I do. I just didn’t want you to see me like this. I didn’t think you would want to put up with it again. I’m sorry.”