Chapter 17 - The Endoscopy

Sofia

I'm sitting in the waiting room, ready for the nurse to finally call me in and get this over with. I've already finished all the check-in activities so I'm set to go. Adrian is sitting to my left and Nico is to my right. Both of them are completely silent and the tension rolling off of them is making me stir crazy.

Nico keeps looking at the hospital ID bracelet around my wrist and frowning, even though the only information on there is my name, age, and a bar code. Just goes to show how we're all just a set of numbers in the end. Or maybe I'm just being morbid.

Adrian keeps tapping his foot on the floor and fidgeting with his hands over his lap. Every now and then he'll start to reach over to grab my hand, but then remembers himself and brings it back. He ends up shoving his hands into the pockets of his jacket and sighing deeply. I think he's having an especially hard time containing his actions in front of Nico today.

"Can both of you calm down? I'm not getting triple bypass here," I finally say.

Nico scoffs and Adrian mumbles something inaudible under his breath. I get that it's not even 7:45am yet, but damn are they grumpy.

"Why don't you guys just go get some breakfast? I'll be done by the time you're finished," I suggest. Hopefully some food should put them in a better mood. I should've known this would happen when they decided not to eat anything this morning out of solidarity.

"We're not leaving, Sofia," Nico says sternly.

I look towards Adrian and he shakes his head firmly. I don't think he's said more than two words today and I'm starting to realize he's a lot more nervous about this than I am.

"Sofia Durant?" a nurse finally calls.

Nico and Adrian are out of their seats before I even sit up. Nico gives me his hand to stand up and envelops me in a big hug.

"Love you, sis," he says all emotional.

Wow, what is going on? "Love you, too," I respond.

I turn towards Adrian and his face has gone completely pale. His eyes look anguished and he's carrying an expression I've never seen before. He leans in to hug me and wraps his arms around me so tightly I can barely breathe.

When we separate, he looks like he wants to tell me something, but no words come out of his mouth. His vision lowers to my throat and I can tell he's thinking about the procedure they're about to do on me.

I reach for my necklace and take it off, remembering the nurse told me to remove all my jewelry before going in. I place it in his hand. "Hold this for me?"

He nods and I don't think I've ever seen him look so sad. I have to leave before he makes me regret signing up for this whole thing.

"Hey, why does Adrian get to keep it? I gave it to you," Nico complains behind me.

"Because you'll lose it, Nico," I tell him rolling my eyes. "I'll see you guys soon, okay?"

I walk towards the nurse, not wanting to keep her waiting any longer. I turn around and wave towards them before I turn the corner, and follow the nurse down a hallway until she leads me into a private waiting room.

"Wow, those boys really didn't want to let you go," she tells me.

"Yeah, I don't know what got into them. They're just overreacting or something."

"Are they your family?" she asks me curiously.

"Yeah, well my brother and my ... friend," I end up saying.