Chapter 12 - All Apologies

Adrian

I walk into the school library, the sound of the studs on my cleats heavily clacking against the granite floor and unintentionally making my presence known. Dammit, I completely forgot about my shoes in my bid to see her. There’s a reason these things are specifically designed for grass. I just hope an attendant doesn’t come rushing to kick me out because of the trail of dirt I’m probably leaving behind me.

Several heads spin in my direction in surprise as I make my way through, but none of them belong to the particular person I’m looking for. I guess it’s not everyday you see a soccer player in full uniform walking around this place. I for one have not set foot in here since freshman year so it takes me a while to situate myself.

I know she’s in here though. After our first scuffles surrounding her preferred hang out spot during our practice hours, she finally settled on the library. I couldn’t be happier knowing she is safe in here and wonder how it didn’t occur to me since the beginning.

“Hey, Adrian. Looking for something?”

I turn around to see a girl leaning against a bookcase, twirling her hair around suggestively with her finger and shooting me a seductive smile. At least, what she probably thinks is a seductive smile. It’s funny how her not so indirect offer might have appealed to me before, but now I have absolutely no interest in it.

Yeah. A pretty little blonde. Have you seen her?

“I’m looking for The Metamorphosis. Do you know where I can find it?” I ask instead.

Her face instantly transforms into a disgusted look and she scoffs at me. “Sorry, can’t help you there.”

“Yeah, that’s what I thought,” I answer and continue walking further into the library, even more determined to find the only real and meaningful thing in my life.

I make my way towards the study area and immediately smile when I spot her sitting at one of the desks. I’ve been waiting all day for this. I’ve been feeling off all morning with a headache and just the sight of her already makes me feel better. The table she’s sitting at has other people scattered about but thankfully the spot directly in front of her is unoccupied.

“Hey,” I greet her as I sit down in the empty chair.

She also looks at me surprised, probably wondering what I’m doing here as she checks her watch. But she also looks skeptical and angry, which is what I had been fearing all day.

“I’m sorry,” I immediately tell her.

She’s about to respond but someone sitting at the table shushes me. I turn around and notice everyone is busy studying and no one else is talking.

“Look, I know I freaked out this morning,” I tell her in a quiet voice. “I didn’t mean to.”

Another round of shushing immediately comes from the table and I roll my eyes. God, why do they have to be such sticklers? I just want to talk to my girl and apologize.

Sofia stifles a giggle and points to a sign above my head. I turn around to read it.

Quiet zone.

Great. I would ask her to come outside with me for a moment, but I have a feeling she’ll refuse. I also don’t want to interrupt her studying any more than I have to. I know it’s important for her to get good grades this semester and I don’t want her to see me as someone who might distract her from that. Hopefully, I can make this quick before she tells me to get lost. I reach for her pen and notebook, turning it towards a blank page at the back.