6 ~ Chloroplast

Sometimes I forget how the world works.

I get so caught up reliving what's been done that I forget we're all orbiting around on a rock in space. It makes me wonder if any of this really matters. Does it matter if I go to college? Does it matter if we live happy or die trying when in the end, we all die anyway?

It makes me wonder.

The hallway chatter doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to. I suppose that's a good thing considering I left my AirPods at home. People aren't too annoying today. Maybe my scowl does a good job at scarring them away.

"Sage!"

I stop for the twins, a small but genuine smile spreading across my face as they join me. "What are you two doing down this hall?"

"We have a sub in study hall." Sterling says, munching on a pack of skittles.

"So Mel said we could chill in her room." Silver grins, planning on making my class period a rather interesting one.

"Lucky me." I mutter and they both slap me.

"Yo, Faggot!"

Silver freezes while Sterling and I tense. You see, calling someone that name isn't gonna happen today. The sound of a person being slammed against a locker catches my attention. Turning around, I see Trey Morris, a wrestler, pinning Graham Edwards against the locker.

"L-let me go." He protests, pulling at the guys arms holding him in place.

"You want to snitch on me cheating so I don't think so." Trey says, shoving him further into the metal.

In a matter of seconds, I manage to shove Trey to the ground. Crouching, I rest my knee on his chest and keep the pressure heavy. "Call anyone else that name and I'll do more than any punishment you get for cheating."

"I'm suspended." He wheezes.

"Like I said, I'll do worse." I promise, pushing down with more than necessary as I stand to my feet.

Graham is on the ground, watching as Trey runs off. "I-I'm not–"

"I don't care what you are, no one should use that word." I state, offering a hand to help him up. He hesitates and I sigh. "I'm not gonna hurt you, Graham."

Eyeing me skeptically, he lets me pull him to his feet. "Thanks."

"Believe it or not, asses can be nice too." I say, returning to my brothers.

"Sorry," is offered but I don't acknowledge it.

"You okay?" I ask Silver.

"Yeah." He mutters, shouldering his bag. "Just got a fresh reminder of why I prefer the closet."

Following him into Lit, I sigh. If I could scare away all the assholes in the world, I would. However, I don't even think I'm capable of doing that, even with Ashton's help.

*****

There are some things in life I find strange. Chloe Hale staring at me without malice in her brown eyes is one of them. It's actually quite alarming.

"It's not fair." Sterling mutters, focused on his computer at lunch.

"What's not fair?" I ask, biting into an apple.

"The internet thinks you're hot." Silver pouts and I move to read the comments on last week's video.

"Sorry, boys, genetic perfection has to start somewhere."

"Why did mom and dad give them to you?" Silver mutters.

"Because dad was hot enough to score mom and Sage looks like him." Sterling explains bitterly. "He's destined to be that way."