16 ~ Biscuit

It's been two weeks since I decommited from Vanderbilt.

And in the last two weeks I have received calls from 20 different schools. It's surreal that one team wanted me, but to have 20 is a dream come true.

Walking through the gym, Coach Edward's steps in my path.

"Morning, Coach." I smile, shoving my phone in my pocket.

"Rhodes, let's have a chat." He says, turning for his office and I follow him, my stomach suddenly queasy.

What could I have possibly done to get on his bad side? I actively work to ensure I don't make coach mad. Sitting in a chair, I try not to think about the last time I was here. At least I haven't hit anyone this time.

He rests his aged hands on his beer belly, studying me with a passive face. "You've made some very important decisions recently."

"Yes, and I know I look like an idiot for walking away from what I had but I needed to." I rush out, hating the thought of him being disappointed. "The coaching staff and I, we just didn't mesh. I mean, they didn't even remember my name. It's Sage, that's pretty freaking memorable."

He just blinks, "Are you done?"

"Yes." I lean back. My emotions tend to be a little out there from time to time. 

"It's your decision." He says calmly. "If you would like any help while going through this process know I'm always here to talk."

As he goes back to his coffee and morning paper, I'm left gaping at him. "You aren't mad?"

"Why would I want you to stay with a team that doesn't appreciate you?"

Damn, he's got a point there. Standing up, I head for the door. "Coach, why didn't you say anything when I committed?" All of this could've been avoided if he spoke up.

Looking at me, he shrugs. "These last four years have been hard on you, and I know that. What you've gone through is unimaginable. However, me telling you what to do wouldn't have helped you. I knew you would've made the right decision, just like Ashton did and just like your dad did."

"Thanks." I understand. There's nothing for me to gain from life if I just do what someone else tells me to do. I have to fall on my face to learn how to walk. I'm just one massive toddler.

"You're just like him." He says softly.

Letting his words sink in, I head to class. Sometimes that's all I can focus on.

My mind spins, however, it stops as soon as a rather small person steps into my path.

"You're late."

"I didn't realize you were expecting me." I laugh as Chloe falls into step with me.

She glares, "I have expectations."

"Trust me, I know." I offer. "What are you gonna do without seeing my beautiful face for a whole week?"

Thanksgiving break is almost here, and I have big plans that include my couch and food. She doesn't respond and I can't get a good look at her face to know if she even heard me.

"Slow down, you take five steps at once." She hisses, grabbing my arm.

Stopping in the middle of the hall, I think about it. "I'm walking like a normal person."

"Yeah, well I'm struggling to keep up." She huffs. "I don't appreciate looking at your ass."

"Excuse you, I have a wonderful ass." I protest, giving it a good slap.