21 ~ House

Usually, I'm capable of making someone talk to me.

I'm annoying as hell when I put my mind to it. I think that's part of the reason Scarlett and I have never gone days without talking. We could go days with our stubbornness, but I just hound her until she caves.

It's a gift.

However, my gift is not working on Chloe. It's Thursday and we have a lab report due tomorrow that we haven't started. I'm getting nervous to say the least.

Thursday morning, I follow a new routine I've developed this week. I hand Graham a bag of toast to give to her since I can't. I try to pester her in Lit 'till she snaps. She doesn't. At lunch, however, Maggie and I are the first ones there, so I decide to take initiative.

"Mags, how do I make Chloe be unmad at me?" I ask.

"I wouldn't know." She shrugs, nibbling on a granola bar. "I've never made Chloe upset."

"Ever?" I find that unbelievable since Maggie is so... well, Maggie and Chloe is so... Chloe.

"I annoy her." Maggie's smile falls. "I annoy everyone, but she just brushes it off or takes a small break from me." This isn't feeling like a small break, but I focus on the bigger issue here.

"Maggie, you don't annoy everyone." I assure her, hating she feels that way.

"Sure, I do." She folds into herself a little. "I don't have a filter, but it doesn't mean I say rude things. I just say what comes to mind. It's almost always at the wrong time or to the wrong person."

This is the first time I've talked to Maggie without a smile. "That's what's so great about you. You're like a bright sunny day. Birds chirping and everything. It's refreshing."

"It's annoying." She snaps. "I annoy all of you guys. Even Zayne sometimes, although he would never say it."

"Mags, I don't know if you noticed but I was going through hell when we became friends." I tap the table.

"I noticed. You looked ready to kick someone's dog and steal Graham's lunch money." She rambles before covering her mouth. "See what I mean."

It's hard not to laugh. "No, you're right. I was an ass, but you didn't annoy me. Even when I was pissed at the world, you made me feel better and we weren't even friends then."

"We're friends?"

"I'd like to think so." I scratch the back of my head.

Her smile grows. "None of Zayne's friends usually want to be my friend. He has so many and he doesn't hangout with a lot of them anymore because I bother them."

I do remember a locker room fight or two started by some of Zayne's old friends bashing Maggie. I didn't know her enough to care, but it gives me perspective. I wasn't the only person who had to find a new friend group this year.

Taking a note from my therapist, I softly ask. "Why do you assume you're always bothering or annoying people?"

She blushes and focuses on the table. "Because I-I annoyed my own parents to the point that they didn't want me. They yelled at me a lot, along with other things I've only told Zayne about and would like to keep that way." Unable to find words, I nod. "Then, I just became too much, and they left me at my Grandparent's house when I was 12. I went to Seinborn for a few years and kids there made it a game to laugh at me. A teacher took pity and said I had the scores to go here so we transferred. Now I'm a burden to my grandparents because they had to drive me here every day before Zayne started taking me."

She blinks back tears, and I hand her the cookie Saffron gave me for dressing normal again. I think my own sister is trying to train me. "I'm so sorry, Maggie. Your parents are assholes that don't know how awesome their daughter is. You're great."