26 ~ Why

**Part two of a 3 part update, make sure you've read chapter 25**

The more I try to talk to Chloe, more distant she becomes.

Leaning against her locker Thursday morning, I tug on her ponytail. "Morning."

"Morning." She smiles, trying to force her locker open.

"What's this, a white shirt?" I mock gasp, thumbing the fabric between my fingers.

"I need to do laundry." She grunts, pressing her foot on the wall in attempt to force it open.

Watching her struggle like a monkey, I clean my throat. "Um, do you want help?"

"No." She huffs. "I. Almost. Got. I-ahh!" The door flies open and she crashes right into me. The coffee in my hands spilling as I steady her. "Shit, I'm sorry."

"Don't be." I set her back on her feet. "It was for you."

"Why?" She asks, knowing she's done nothing to deserve it.

"It was a thanks for doing the whole Coming Home thing with me." I offer, picking up the now crushed cup.

"Oh." She whispers. Glancing down at her shirt, she punches the lockers. "Shit."

"That sucks." I take in the massive stain across her stomach.

As she tries rubbing at the stain, I get an idea. Placing her breakfast in a dry spot, I pull my hoodie over my head. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you this." I extend the hoodie to her. "Look, it's even black."

Staring at it like it's poison, she tentatively puts it on. Rolling up the sleeves, she shifts the fabric around. "This is a dress on me. "

"You look cute." I assure her, pulling my phone out. Setting it on a timer, I throw an arm around her. "Say cheese!"

"Why?" She whines as the camera goes off.

Studying the image, I post it to my snapchat. "There, now eat your breakfast so we can go to class."

Snatching the plastic bag, she grunts. "Pizza isn't breakfast."

I stop walking. "Cold pizza is the best breakfast in the entire planet."

Taking a bite, she makes a face. "No."

"If you don't want it, I'll eat it." Leaning down, I take a bite. How could she not love this?

She shoves my face away. "I'm fucking eating it, Rhodes. Stay away."

Laughing, I go to class. Maybe we're okay after all.

*****

"Sage, we're going to be late!" Scarlett shouts, running downstairs.

As four sets of footsteps run through the house, I sigh. Sipping my glass of water as they appear in the kitchen, I wave. "So happy you could join me."

Throwing the keys at me, Scar heads for the door. "Shut up and let's go."

It's not my fault they're never ready on time.

Getting to the school, Graham finds us before we can even pay for our tickets to the basketball game. "You're late!"

"I'm like two minutes late and I brought you a drink." I toss a blue Gatorade at him.

Dropping his clipboard to catch it, Scarlett raises a brow. "Who's this?"

Standing straight, Graham fumbles with his words so I talk. "This is Graham. One of my friends."