Chapter Twelve

Hamptons! Amelia inhaled the air, spiked with the ocean's saltiness. Dragging the carry-on luggage through her parent's beach house, she saw Sophie's brothers along with her own, chatting animatedly in the hallway.

With a squeal, she cried, "You guys! How have you all been?"

She hugged each of them and held Brian, Sophie's older brother, at arm's length. She liked to keep in contact with him, but ever since her trip to Italy, their texting had dwindled.

"Goodness, it has been too long." He grinned, pushing his sun-bleached hair out of his eyes. "You know I wanted to join you in Europe at some point, but things kept coming up."

"Now whose fault is that?" She gave him a playful punch. "You should have visited. Tuscany is to die for."

"Where is your new boyfriend? I have heard so much about him. The gossip is that he isn't the guy you met in Italy." At the look of irritation on her face, Brian added, "It wasn't Sophie who told us. Your father mentioned it on the way here. Boy, he had a lot to say."

"Does he look the same in real life or is it all photoshop?" Andy, Sophie's younger brother, teased. 

"Guys, leave my sister alone." Daniel threw them a meaningful glare. "This long weekend is all about getting to know him. God, I sure hope our wackiness doesn't scare him away." Then he turned to her. "So, where is he?"

"He was right behind me," Amelia said, feeling embarrassed when she realized James was nowhere in sight. What was holding him up?

"Probably, he wants to make a grand entrance." Andy peered outside the doorway. "Oh, yeah, I see him coming. Damn. Check out his car."

"Andy." Daniel shoved him out of the way. "None of your wisecracks."

Right then, Sophie appeared from the kitchen in a white cover-up over a black bikini. "What's going on?"

"We are waiting for Millie's new boyfriend, who is yet to introduce himself," Brian replied.

Amelia was afraid of all this. Maybe it was too soon to invite James to family events. She wondered how he would reciprocate all the attention from the Aslans and the Hawkings.

"We shouldn't run into cost overruns as the projections are accurate." James' impatient voice preceded him. He faltered when he found himself confronted by strangers. "Can you hold on for a second?" He muted his phone and mumbled," Hey, Sophie."

Sensing that he wouldn't make the first move at the introductions, Amelia jumped in. "James, these are Sophie's brothers, Brian and Andy." She pointed at them. "Their parents, Melissa and Roger, are somewhere inside. And the handsome guy over there is my brother, Daniel."

He sized up the Hawking brothers and muttered, "Hi, I am James." Turning to her, he planted a peck on the cheek. "I have to take care of this, babe. It's urgent." Then he was gone.

"Not exactly Mr. Friendly, is he?" Brian said, not censuring his words.

"Something came up with one of his development projects while we were driving here." Amelia looked apologetic, although James' brusque behaviour irked her.

"Is he workaholic or what? What a bummer to work even on holidays?" Andy shuddered at the thought.

"You are such a slacker, dude." Her brother jabbed him good-naturedly. "I am sure we will get to know James better in the coming days. Let's not judge the man based on a few seconds of meeting him."

Amelia sent Daniel a look of relief. They may not be as close as before, but she could always count on him.

"Give him a break, guys." Sophie came to her rescue too. "Andy, there are people in this country who work two jobs on the weekend. And enough with the gossiping and let's hit the water. I could do with a swim. Come on."