2 | The Call

Are you sure, 'li?

I'm sure. Is it really okay if I come with you for a few months?

... but what about school? You're still studying, aren't you?

I'm on leave. The psychiatrist gave me a note that gives me a time out for some time.

I know you're having troubles with Cyberaya, but I don't think—

Boboiboy, please.

...

I know this is serious. I can't stay here any longer. Please. I can't deal with any of this anymore. You know what I mean, right? Your father—

Don't bring him into this.

...

I'm sorry. Yeah, I know how you feel. In some sense. Fine. Meet me at your train station tomorrow morning. I'll be there as soon as I can. You don't have to bring anything, just don't bring anything from your agency. TAPOPS hates MATA and even I don't know why.

Okay. Thanks.

Alright. Just remember not to tell anyone. I'll go off for now. Curfew's starting in ten minutes.

K. Bye.

Bye.

The call ended, and Ali laid onto his bed, unable to fall asleep as he thought about his escape that would happen the very next day.

* * *

Unfortunately for him, the moment he reached the train station, his phone rang, and fla-se-dah, it was MATA.

Oh, joy.

He'd walked to the station, as his scooter was also engineered by MATA, and so was IRIS. The moment his phone rang, his stomach dropped and he knew that it was going to be a bad day.

He drew a sharp breath, and turned his phone off. His friend should be around here any time now.

That was until someone he knew tapped his shoulder.

"We're getting a call from MATA. Why are you still standing here?"

Ali whirled around, only to see a towering figure looming over him, the figure's menacing demeanor catching Ali off guard. Agent Fit, he thought, beginning to sweat bullets. This is bad.

"Oh, we did?" Ali's voice shook, looking around desperately for the sight of his brunette friend. "Uh, I turned my phone off, and you see—"

Fit cut him off. "Well, we better get going. MATA doesn't tolerate tardiness."

Just as Fit was about to head out, a clear voice rang through the station, soft enough but it was suffice to draw their attention: "Ali!"

Ali turned around in relief, and at the very top of the stairs stood none other than Boboiboy. He was in civilian clothes, a hoodie and shorts, shouldering a backpack. His hair was bushy and untamed, his cap gone into oblivion. Boboiboy jogged over to Ali, his height only slightly surpassing Ali and below Fit.

"Where were you?" he demanded, wiping sweat from his brow. He grabbed his wrist and began to drag him off. "Come on. The train's almost here and I'm not spending another ten minutes waiting for the next one. If you're going with me, you need to learn how to even look at an alarm clock."

Ali breathed a sigh of relief, but Fit caught up to them soon enough. He blocked Boboiboy's path, and the latter stopped in front of him.

"Um, mister? Do you need anything from us?" Boboiboy asked, visibly concerned about the situation.

"Ali's not going anywhere. He still has something to deal with," Fit said firmly, subtly glaring daggers at the said boy, urging him to speak up.

Oh crap, Ali thought. There was no way they were going to get out of this. He's already dealt with enough stress for the year. He couldn't handle to see MATA in such short notice—

Fortunately, Boboiboy was known to be a quick thinker as well as a fighter. He pulled Ali behind him, shielding him with whatever height advantage he has, and looked Fit dead into the eyes.

"Yeah, well, he has another thing going on at the moment, so can this wait?" Boboiboy said smoothly, as innocent as he was able to. "After all, Agent Fit, you wouldn't want to get your ass kicked again, would you? How humiliating."

As Fit's face was contorted into one of shock, Boboiboy took this moment to run, bringing Ali along. The moment they did, Fit recovered from his daze and immediately began his pursuit, cursing at himself and Ali's name, probably saying: That Ali boy is off associating with the enemy again! and more colorful words.

When they reached the ticket dispenser, Boboiboy swerved a hard right, ignoring the train station completely. Instead, he led Ali behind the behind the building, and straight into an empty construction site.

Fit was still in hot pursuit, and Ali thanked the whatever immortal deity up there that Bobby wasn't with him. The Invisio agent would have caught up to him within seconds.

He would have asked where are we going? but he decided against it. Boboiboy acted like he knew where he was going, despite never visited Cyberaya before. From all the turns and shortcuts he was taking, he as going to Ali's school.

"Um, Boboiboy?" Ali spoke up, beginning to pant as they dashed through the pavement. There weren't much passerbys, as the start of the day was still fresh and people were busy at work. "You know where you're going, right?"

Boboiboy ran right next to him, no doubt to go physical to protect Ali just in case. "Yes, I know this is your school!" he snapped, already unzipping his hoodie. "Just blend in!"

When they reached the school entrance, they ran straight in, and the guard didn't question their presence. Boboiboy was wearing a uniform, and the absence of the badge was still concealed by the jacket. Ali, meanwhile, was already a well-known tardied student in the school.

Ali looked back, and he realized that Fit was being blocked at the door by the guards, but he daren't stop. He ran past the canteen, past the Academy entrance, and entered the garden.

Boboiboy stopped at the corridor and leaned against the wall, wiping sweat from his cheek. "We're here," he claimed, slightly out of breath.

"Here what? Don't tell me you came here to study in my school too!"

"What? Of course not!" Boboiboy fished out a device that resembled a phone and pressed his thumbprint onto the screen. A hiss emitted from the empty air, and the outlines of a ship materialized. He winked at Ali, walking to his ship as the hanger door opened. "Don't worry. I already short-circuited every camera in a distance, including regular cellphones. Even if they do see us, I can just come back and pull some favors."

"Favors?" Ali felt his heart pinch as he walked into the ship, the cold air hitting his skin. "Do you mean from the government?"

Boboiboy powered up the ship, and the hangar door closed tightly. He motioned Ali to sit on one of the seats as he sped through the complicated controls, more advanced than MATA or Cyberaya's.

"No," Boboiboy said tightly, calibrating the coordinates of TAPOPS. "Never from the government."

He didn't elaborate further.

When Fit managed to get access to the school, all he found were students swarming the cafeteria for their lunches, with no sight of the young agent or the foreign boy.