4 | The Memory

They waited. Not because they wanted to formulate a plan to exterminate the TAPOPS kids because one of them was definitely a potential psychopath, it was because they were to wait for Dato Othman, the founder of Cyberaya and creator of MATA.

The three TAPOPS kids waited in a separate room, with only a sofa, a table, and a TV that played the current news on loop. Other than the TV, there wasn't much entertainment.

Boboiboy sat crossed-legged in the corner, facing the wall in silence. He's always done this, and Ali wondered why. He tried to ask, but he told him it was just a habit he developed over the years. Usually it would only take minutes, but they've been waiting for hours now, and Boboiboy hasn't budged.

Fang, on the other hand, was lying on the couch, kicking his feet in the air. He stared off into the ceiling, his gaze deep in thought. Ali was the only one impatient, as it seems.

"You know, it's been about three centuries since I saw that chick smile."

Ali turned to Fang, wondering whether if he was talking to himself or talking to him.

"How so?" Ali asked.

Fang tilted his head to face Ali. "Ever since our friends died, he's been pretty on edge. I don't know how you two met, you have a positive effect on him." He sighed, recalling the early days of their friendship. "But now, seeing this place again is making his mind worse. Hopefully we can get out of here before he could corrupt his own ass."

Ali shivered. Corruption. He's heard more stories about Boboiboy losing control and destroying an entire planet by accident. He doesn't know what triggered Boboiboy, but as far as he knew, he was the most patient guy he's ever met... until he meets up with prideful human organizations that interfered with his family's legacy or his work in general.

"You don't seem worried."

"I used to be." Fang yawned, craning his head to look for a clock, but there was none. "But then it's only a matter of time before I get corrupted myself if I worried my head off, so that's something I want to avoid."

"You can get corrupted too?"

"Hm. Yep," Fang grunted. "If you can survive the next two centuries, then you'll face the same dangers," he said, turning to the watch on Ali's left wrist. "But your powers are still new to us. We don't know whether if they'll keep you ageless like us, but you learn something new every day."

Fang then returned to sleep with his visors' glass turning dark, which left Ali in silence.

The soundless environment didn't last long. Minutes later, the door slid open, and it revealed Rizwan, the new Invisio core pillar.

"Hey," Ali said lamely, voice laced with boredom. He wasn't the least enthusiastic that the traitor had survived, but he didn't mine another soul breathing either.

"I want to talk to you," Rizwan started, closing the door behind him.

Ali frowned. "So Dato Othman's not here yet?" He chewed his lip. "Humans these days..."

Rizwan sighed. "Ali, you've been with aliens so long that you've forgotten you're human too."

"No," Ali corrected him sternly, facing his gaze. He held his wrist warily, eyeing Rizwan's movements. "I'm not."

"You are human, Ali."

"Not anymore."

Rizwan's eyes widened. "What did they do to you?"

"I chose this myself." Ali turned away, unwilling to continue this conversation. He wasn't human, but he was at the same time. Humans don't have supernatural powers. Humans didn't talk to aliens. If being a human meant being under someone's control, he would rather consider himself an alien instead.

Rizwan exhaled lightly, a lollipop stick protruding from his lips. Without any further interrogations, an unwrapped lollipop appeared in front of Ali, which surprised the young boy.

There were no more words exchanged, but Ali took the candy in shock, mind drifting back to the final day of their training. He remembers. When he looked back to Rizwan, he had already left the room, and the door was sealed shut as always.