8 | The Talk

Without him knowing, Ali had run back to his old school. It was only when he came face to face with the closed gates, and the oh-so familiar guardhouse was when he realized that his instincts had brought him to where it all began.

How ironic.

Deciding he was damned anyway, he figured he might as well go catch up with Viktor, the only person who's been there for him all this time. He showed the guard his student ID and they allowed him access, with no further questions of why he was violating school rules regarding hair, accessories and everything.

The school was almost ending, as he did leave for quite some time. At least fighting against mindless aliens didn't require a degree. Could you imagine how stupid it would be? Do you have an accounting degree? If you don't, you can't stop me from stealing this power sphere! And all those kids who spent their childhood fighting villains will all go: Darn it! Foiled by the corrupted education system! All the anime protagonists would begin to curse the government and help their enemy destroy the world instead.

With the year wrapping up to an end, the school would end at earlier times, of which was conveniently now. As soon as he stepped into the wing of his classroom, the bell rang, and floods of students gushed from their respective classrooms, pushing and shoving each other as they all desired to return to their homes.

Amongst them was Viktor, who remained faithfully to his video games, eyes glued onto the screen and fingers tapping madly on the controls. He walked behind the crowd, ignorant of the free time that he's been granted legally.

Ali waited for Viktor to walk past him, standing by the corridor with his arms crossed. Viktor didn't notice his presence. "Hey," Ali starts, loud enough for Viktor to hear and understand that it was for him. "You beaten the boss level yet?" It was the same game that they've been playing, though it was clear that his friend's beaten more difficult levels.

Viktor froze up, and turned around stiffly. His brows were furrowed in confusion as he scanned the stranger's clothing and appearance.

"Um, hi?" Viktor asked, his tone hiding more questions than he let on. "Are you someone's sibling? I could help you find them if you'd like."

"Actually, I've been looking for you." Ali shrugged dramatically as he flexed his shoulders, sore from the day's endeavors. "It's Ali. Long time no see, Vik. You still haven't changed."

There was no immediate response, but Viktor's gaze instantly sharpened as he studied Ali up and down. His eyes widened as he looked at Ali's wild, long hair; his mouth gaping as he realized that Ali was still as short as ever. Maybe his height was what truly made his statements believable.

"Ali," Viktor said, voice reedy. "You're—" He shook his head. "You're here? Like, here?"

"Yeah." Ali patted Viktor's shoulder. "I'm not a ghost haunting you or anything. So you can stop praying to god to exorcise a demon."

"You've been gone for six months!"

"And I'm back. How's school?"

"Your father is in the hospital for malnutrition!"

"I called the ambulance."

"The city's been put in lockdown because you were missing!"

"They found a lot of criminals trying to escape. I'd say that's a win."

"You! Had! Me! Worried! Sick!" To emphasize his frustration, Viktor grabbed Ali's shoulders and shook him, his tablet dropping to the ground in clatters. "Where did you go? Did you get kidnapped?"

Ali clamped his hand around Viktor's elbows, and forced him to stop. He might have some experience in battle, but he did not like being nauseated by being shaken by your friend like a cup of smoothie.

He kneeled down and picked up Viktor's tablet, the game brazenly playing a sad song with the words: GAME OVER blasting on the screen. He handed it back to Viktor with a cheeky grin. "I have my secrets," he sung playfully, purposefully ignorant of Viktor's withering glare.

Ali raised his hands in surrender. "Fine," he clipped, putting his hands down as Viktor's glare softened to genuine concern. "I shouldn't be telling you this, but..." Ali looked down, then returning his friend's stare. "I..."

He took a deep breath, and closed his eyes.

"I'm joining a circus!"

Viktor looked at him, dumbfounded. "Ali, you're my friend, but please, you need better excuses."

"I'm not kidding! We have these fire-eaters and beast tamers and weight-lifters and all that. They even include healthcare packages such as immortality and superhuman abilities such as making weeds grow faster!"

Despite Ali's enthusiasm in his false story, his friend didn't look convinced. Really, could you blame him?

"I have no idea how to react to this situation," Viktor deadpanned.

"Hm. Same here." Ali sniffed. "Anyway, I have to go. I know this is a stupid reunion, but I'm leaving again. This time I'm telling you properly."

"Leaving?" Viktor demanded, expression falling. "Where? How long? Does your father know? Of course he doesn't—he's in the hospital for god's sake. Why?"

"Personal reasons," Ali answered. "I can't share this with you. I'm sorry, but it's true. Not just you, either. I can't tell anyone."

"Is..." Viktor looked around cautiously, as if he was afraid of anyone overhearing. Then in a low voice, he leaned over and whispered: "Is this about MATA?"