A splash of love

Somewhere before 19.00
She wanted to get ice cream so that is what we did. I'm holding her cone while she pays. She insisted and I quickly learned that there was no point in arguing her over it. It does give me the opportunity to look at her without her noticing.

I'm watching her every movement. Slender hands with long thin fingers, reached out over the register. The soft features of her face and slight curl up of her lips. Pink lips. Friendly eyes with a sparkle that has been shooting sparks down my spine since the moment I saw her all those hours ago. She laughs at a joke that is beyond my reach. The sound is carried over the breeze back to me. My ears warming when they're hugged with her joy.

'Earth to Max.' she waves a hand in front of my eyes, snapping me back to reality. I hand over her cone. A swirl of vanilla and strawberry with sprinkles on top. It's what you'd imagine to be in the dictonary next to the word; joy.

We start walking. She hooks her arm through mine and it feels like we've been doing this for years. There is a need in the pit of my stomach that wants people to look our way and see us as a couple. I have to press it down as to not let myself get carried away.

'You were telling me about your friends.' She breaks the train of thoughts in my mind.

'Right. Well, there is Will. He's my best friend. I've known him since we were five years old and we did everything together.'

'Did?'

'Things are different lately,' I'm hesitant and she is picking up on it. Nudging me softly. 'He's kind of dating someone...'

'Someone you don't approve of? Is she an ex or something?'

'Lord no. There is a code for that, you know.'

'Sure, I just didn't think men followed that same code.' She looks pained.

'Bad experience?'

'Sort of.' I'm letting it slide because from the looks of it she's not in the mood to share. It's a story for another day.

'So Will is dating a bitch and now some other code is going down the drain?'

'That just about sums it up, yeah.'

'Will is the super tall basketball player type of guy right?' I can see she's trying to remember something and she's correct. Will has always been tall. He's hard to miss. So I nod. 'He's handsome.' She continues. I must've made a face because she starts to laugh. It's steadily becoming my favorite sound.

'You could follow that up with; not as handsome as you, Max.' Her laugh gets louder.

'Sure. If that makes you feel better.'

We get to the square in the heart of the city. There are kids playing in the sprinklers. Parents are sitting nearby on benches, enjoying the slowly disappearing sun. It's jolting some old memories of happier family days. I drop my backpack by my feet.

We watch the children play while finishing our ice cream. At least, she is. I'm watching her from the corners of my eyes. She's fussing with her melting ice cream and it's the cutest thing. She licks her fingertips and circles back around her cone. Her tongue playing with both the cone and my heart. A smile is involuntarily forming on my face. A smile that quickly becomes a loud burst of laughter.

'Hey!' she shoots me an unimpressed look and then shoves me directly into the nearest sprinkler. Goosebumps are immediately forming all over my bare skin. My shirt is soaking wet and I shriek. She's laughing, pride in her narrowed eyes.

'You are so going to regret that!' I yell and I reach out my arms to pull her forward. She tumbles into my arms. Water shooting up from the ground under her. A high pitched noise leaves her lips.

'Shit that's cold!' She laughs. Her hands wrapped around me. Her dress clinging to her body, making her curves visible and my heart skip a full beat. I'm forcing my eyes not to drift too far down her chest.

'You're beautiful.' I whisper more to myself than to her. My voice muffled by the laughter around us and the streams of water that continuously shoot up around us.

'Thank you.' She replies minutes later, when I've almost forgotten that I said it. Her eyes meet mine. Her lips look inviting and with the risk of fully getting ahead of myself I lean in once more. When she doesn't stop me I arch my back and place a hand on her cheek. A damp curl clinging just as eagerly to my fingers as my lips are about to cling to hers. I've come to yet another conclusion. I may not remember where I've met her before. I might never remember but I will always remember this. Her and me, surrounded by happiness under the setting sun.

------------------------------------------------

I'm craving summer. Hope you like this one! Send me your thoughts and feedback! xx