The morning of goodbye

Between 8.00 and 10.00
I wake up to her singing. At first I thought she was part of my dream. Her voice isn't good. Not for singing at least. It's a flaw that makes me like her more.

I open my eyes and let the light catch me off guard. These curtains offer no protection from the sun. It seems to be as hot out as it is in here. It's a good thing that I can hear her otherwise I would've feared she left me in this dump.

She seems to be in the bathroom. The door is open and light creeps out. I hear the start of a hairdryer and her voice gets louder. It's worse when it's louder and I can't help but laugh loudly.

'You'd better not be making fun of me Max!' I hear her yell. I feel myself getting flustered.

About fifteen minutes later she appears from the bathroom. Her hair is perfectly done. Loose curls gracing her face. She smells sweet, flowery and fresh. Her dress dancing around her body. Twirling with her movements. I want to bury myself in that smell. In that dress. In those curls. I take her in. She has no make-up on her face which lets me see the freckles I missed yesterday.

'You look beautiful.' I let out a deep sigh. She is otherworldly.

'Thanks.' Her smile completes it all.

We decide to eat our breakfast elsewhere. There is no way the food is good here. I glanced over at the indoor restaurant, at the sweaty waiter carrying plates of buns to the buffet. He looked like he was sick and I didn't want to catch whatever it was he had.

So instead we found this cute diner at the corner of the street from our hotel. It looks just like a retro movie diner. With bright red leather booths and mint green tabletops. There is a lady with dirty blond hair and a bold red lip matching the seats at the counter.

'So...' I begin once our food has arrived. I ordered the pancakes with extra blueberries and she ordered yoghurt with muesli and a variety of red fruit.

'So...' she echoes back.

'What's next?'

'I don't know. We should get back sometime soon.'

'I guess.' My hunger vanishes with those words but she is right. We've been together almost twenty-four hours straight.

'You don't look very happy.' Her left eyebrow is raised.

'Well I'm not.'

'Alright. Get out of this funk now Maxi. Give me your phone,' She holds out her hand and I place my phone in it. I watch her swiftly press the screen and when I get it back I see her number staring back at me. 'You know that smile creeps me out. I might change my mind now.' She grins.

'No backsies!' I chime like a child. I put my phone away and take another bite of my pancakes. These are delicious but again, my taste like my overall temperature last night, might be affected by the company I'm in.

'I'll be waiting for that text now. The one that says I'll pick you up at eight.'

'Oh Calliope. If you think you'll have to wait long for a text...' I smile. 'I'll probably call you when I get home.'

'You won't go full stalker on my ass now will you?'

'I might.' We share in laughter.

When we get back outside it's nearly ten. The sun beams down the way it did the day before. This time I hold two bottles of water that I bought from the hotel shop. Calli is checking the bus schedule. It all feels familiar but better. Definitely better.

--------------------------------------------------

This story is almost done. I am preparing myself for the end. Are you guys ready?