Dreams over pizza

After 19.00
We sit down in front of a very shady looking restaurant. There are three other people sitting in one of the five tables. An overly eager waiter brings us the menu's and a bottle of water. I have my reservations about this place but I seem to be alone in this. Calli is flipping through her menu, teeth baring grin plastered on her perfect face.

'Is this really where you want to be dining?' I whisper to her. She looks up and nods. 'I mean I could take you someplace...' I let my gaze wander over the tacky cushions covering highly uncomfortable wooden chairs and end with the brown tinted windows that only half shield the old brown interior matching the outside ensemble. 'Fancier?'

'O Maxi,' she grins. 'Don't let appearances fool you. I've been here many times before and trust me!' she leans in, eyes widening. 'They serve the best pizza's here. Of all times. Ever existed across the entire planet nay universe!'

'Is that so?' I cock an eyebrow in response. 'Alright Calliope, I put my trust in you.'

'You should. I'm very wise.' She giggles.

I take a bite from my tuna pizza. She mocked me when I ordered it but I like the simplicity of a tuna filled pizza. I know she's watching me eat. Awaiting my response. So I let her linger for a bit before I can't hide the pleasure of what really is the best pizza I've ever tasted any longer. She's right, this is divine.

'I told you!' she blurts out, taking a giant slice in her small lean hands, caressing the dough with her teeth.

'You are very wise.' I smile causing a twinkle of joy to form in her eyes.

Between bites we ask each other questions. It's meaningless details of our day to day lives. She asks me about traveling and where I'd see myself going to which I response with a series of destinations that I dreamt about visiting since I was a child. I ask her about her friends in hopes to find a clue to where we've met before but she doesn't seem to dabble in my circles very often. Though she knows Nattie, Will's sister and her best friend Lillian grew up down the street of my childhood home.

'Why don't you leave?' she asks, finishing her last slice.

'Because of dad. I guess,' I let my own words sink in and shake my head. 'No, that's a lie. I tell myself it's because of dad but the truth is that I'm scared.'

'Of what?'

'Of being disappointed. Of having to go back home with my dreams shattered and no plans for the future.'

'You hold off on a dream so you always have it as a back-up plan for the future but in doing so create a dull and possibly worse future? That sounds really dumb.'

'Well if you put it like that it does.' I slurp down some iced tea.

'When mom died I knew right away that I wanted to help others so other families wouldn't have to go through what we went through but that also meant that I needed to be a part of the messy bits. I need to see the suffering and learn to understand it so I can help,'

A soft wrinkle forms on her forehead as she's telling me all of this. When she talks about her mother she ages before my eyes but like most of her, it's graceful and mesmerizing to watch.

'My point is, disappointment, heartache, suffering and let downs. They are part of it and fear should never be a reason to back away from a beautiful dream.' Her eyes soften again.

'Where would I start?'

'Wherever you want.'

When the waiter returns with the bill I pay before she gets back from the restroom. She gives me a semi frustrated look when she spies the receipt on the table with my empty glass on top of it.

'You bought me a necklace and dinner?' she muses.

'I'll buy you the moon if I have to.' I let her hook her arm through mine as we make our way back into the heart of the city. I can't see it but I know she's smiling. I can feel it.

'Be careful Max. This is usually how girls fall in love.'

'Now wouldn't that be a dream.' The words wrap around us like a warm blanket. We stop mid pace at the same moment, shifting to face each other. Her eyes are searching mine, mimicking my own. Her eyes are a beautiful shade of brown. Not too light and never too dark but always darker than the icy blue of mine. She bites her lower lip playfully but not intentionally. I reach out a hand to take in between my fingers the stray curl by her ear. I let it shape around my fingertips.

'Aren't you going to kiss me?' she asks quietly, blinking twice before closing her eyes. I won't let her ask me again. I lean in, taking her face in my hands, moving my thumbs across her cheeks and pressing my lips firmly on hers. Would it be so wrong to fall in love with me? Would it be too much of a dream to hope for her love after mere hours?

----------------------------------------

I'm back! I've had emergency surgery last week which was very hard both physically and emotionally but I'm feeling a lot better now. So here is the latest chapter, enjoy! Xx