Chapter 8- The Guardian Deity

It was the next day and I was on my way to the gymnasium with Shoyo. When I opened the door, there I saw Kageyama about to do a serve to the water bottle on the other side of the court. "Oh! Kageyama is here." 

At my words, Shoyo peered inside. "You're right." A smile appeared on his face and he faced me. "Watch me (Y/N)! I'm going to receive it!" With that he rushed into the gym.

"W-wait Shoyo! I don't think he wants you to-" I was too late though when he suddenly appeared in front of the bottle that Kageyama was trying to hit and ended up receiving the ball poorly. Kageyama started yelling at Shoyo and told him to get the ball that went who knows where. I found another ball nearby and brought it to him. "Sorry, I tried to tell him not to."

When he turned in my direction, the scowl on his face seemed to have disappeared. "Thanks." He grabbed the ball from me and prepared himself to do another serve. 

Just then I heard the door to the gym open, I looked over and saw a boy that I don't recognize walk inside. It seemed as though Kageyama hadn't noticed him. When Kageyama did the serve, I was caught by surprise when the mystery boy, like Shoyo, ran in front of the bottle to do a receive. Except this time, it was a perfect one. Kageyama and I's eyes both widened in shock at this. 'Who is this guy?' I thought in my head.

Shoyo seemed to have noticed as well, and he approached him. "Y-you're... shorter than me!" I almost wanted to laugh at his words. Almost... But that would be rude to the guy that I just now realized, after it was pointed out, was indeed shorter.

Next thing you know, the guy who looked chill turned furious and was screaming at Shoyo. "Huh?! What did you say?!" I guess this guy is also a bit sensitive about his height. Shoyo decided to ask him about his height. When he gave an answer, Shoyo started to weep tears of joy. This caused the guy to once again start yelling at him.

I turned back towards the gym doors when I heard them open again. In came Daichi, Suga, and Tanaka, who looked pleased to see the guy who we have yet to know the name of. "Hey! Noya-san." Noya? Is that his name or a nickname?

The boy in question turned away from Shoyo and turned to Tanaka with a smile. "Hey Ryu."

The other two also greeted him and Daichi turned to Shoyo, Kageyama, and I. "Let me introduce you. This is Nishinoya, second-year." So that's his name.

The three of us said our hellos to him and he did the same, with a smile. "Hi. You guys are first-years huh?" Once he got a good look at me though, his smile went away and he was sort of looking at me in shock. I was about to feel a bit nervous since I didn't know why he was looking at me like that, when he quickly turned his back to all of us. Daichi sighed while Suga laughed nervously. Do they know what's going on? Little did I know of the thoughts going through the short second-years' head. 'It's a first year girl! And she's a cute one at that too! Best day ever!'

He didn't take long to recover from... whatever it was he was doing. He turned to Kageyama in excitement asking about his school and such. He was in the middle of talking about school uniforms when Kiyoko came in. I was startled when he starting running her way, shouting. "Kiyoko-san! I've come to see you!" Apparently I wasn't the only one who was startled as Kiyoko quickly slapped him when he came too close. Oof...

However, he shrugged it off as if it was nothing and went back over to the other guys, while I went over to where Kiyoko was heading to help her set up for practice. I was close enough to hear what they were talking about. "Where's Asahi? Did he come back?" The third years look like they didn't know how to respond. Seeing their reactions, it would seem that whoever this Asahi person was, wasn't coming back and this made Nishinoya upset. He looked extremely angry, calling him a wimp and storming out.

I was speechless at first, then I turned to Kiyoko. "Do you know what that was all about? Did something happen?" I asked her.

A unsure look crossed her features and she sighed. "I don't know all the details but I can explain some." I nodded my head and she started explaining. She told me about how Asahi was the ace of the team. There was a game that Karasuno played in and how the ace couldn't spike the ball past the blockers. Then he gave up on playing volleyball because of it and Nishinoya was upset because of it.

That must have been rough... I was lost in thought for a moment when I overheard Shoyo saying that he's going to find Nishinoya. I made up my mind. "Can I come with?" I asked him and he nodded. We were both excused and on our way to find Nishinoya.

It didn't take us long to find him. He was just walking around. Shoyo turned to look at me. "What should we say to him?"

I thought about it for a second before suggesting something. "Maybe... Ask him to help teach you how to receive? He's good at it and you could use the help. Having him teach you will let him stick around. At least a little while longer."

He nodded his head and smiled at me. "You're always good at coming up with ideas! Where will I be without you?"

"Lost and struggling big time?"

"Hey!" He pouted for a bit before the two of us ran up to the second-year. "U-um..." He stopped and turned to look at us, still looking upset. "Nishiya-san, you're a libero right?" I face palmed when he messed up his name.

He went to sit down. "That's Nishinoya. And what makes you think I'm a libero? Because I'm short?"

Our eyes widened a bit, and Shoyo denied what he said. "Huh? No. It's because you're a good receiver. Libero is a position for good receivers right?"

Nishinoya looked at him for a second before smiling. "You know what you're talking about."

I thought back to what Daichi said about a good receiver that Karasuno had. He mentioned them yesterday after the practice match with Aoba Johsai. I assumed that he must be talking about Nishinoya. "The captain called you the guardian god. You must be a very good libero!" I said with a smile.

He turned to me, wide eyed and flushing at my words. "Guardian?! I-I'm not all that..." He says bashfully. "B-but I don't care if he calls me a good name like that!"

I elbowed Shoyo, signaling him to talk about asking him for help. "I'm still lousy at receiving, even though it's the most important thing in volleyball." Nishinoya turned to look at him for a second, wondering what he's getting at. "So please teach me how, Nishi... Nishinoya-senpai!"

He looked very surprised at his words. I decided to plead along with him. "Please teach him senpai!"

He turned to me next, also looking surprised, but this time, with pink cheeks. I didn't know what was going through his head at the moment. 'A-A cute kohai called me senpai!' He was practically crying tears of joy on the inside. He put both hands on his knees and stood up. "You two..." He put one hand each on one of our shoulders. We both looked at him confused. "I'll buy you ice cream after practice... because I'm... Your senpai!"

We looked at him in happiness. "Does this mean?..." Shoyo asked with hope in his eyes.

Nishinoya pointed at the two of us. "That doesn't mean I'm going back to the club. I'm going to teach you that's all."

We bowed to him, thanking him. "Thanks!"

Not too far from us were Daichi, Suga, and Tanaka, listening in on our conversation. The third years sighed in relief, while Tanaka looked upset. "Noya you bastard! I want her to call me senpai too!"

Suga looked at him in confusion. "Didn't you say that she already called you senpai before?"

"I know!" He then put his hands on his own arms, looking like he's embracing himself, with a blush and goofy grin on his face. "But I want to hear her call me senpai again!"

Both Daichi and Suga sweat dropped at his words.