Sixteen: Safety

"I think they're at Hawkins lab!" Jonathan exclaimed, coming back into the room not long after Sloane and Nancy had finished their talk

"I think they're at Hawkins lab!" Jonathan exclaimed, coming back into the room not long after Sloane and Nancy had finished their talk. He paid no mind to the two girls as he snatched his keys off of the table and motioned to the door, "If Will was having an episode, that's where they go and this definitely looks like the product of an episode. I was thinking about the polaroid and trying to remember who would come in contact with us and the house that shot polaroid, it's the lab! Come on, I don't know if they're still there or what danger they could be in."

Sloane and Nancy didn't stick around to ask questions as the three of them raced to the car and he took off down the road. Sloane had never been to Hawkins Lab, but from what she knew they were what had been responsible for Barbara's death and a multitude of other things troubling Hawkins. So, needless to say, she was terrified.

Within a few minutes, night had fallen and they pulled up at the gate of the laboratory. Jonathan killed the engine, looking at the lab and asking, "Why are the lights off?"

"Saving energy?" Sloane asked hopefully, but something was telling her that wasn't it.

Nancy looked unsure as well as she spoke, suggesting, "Maybe it's closed?"

"Security took the night off?" Jonathan suggested with a scoff, all three of them looking at each other with increased nervousness as they tossed around theories. "I don't think so."

With that, he stepped into the security booth and opened the gate for them so they could drive through. However, nothing moved in the stillness of the night.

"It's not working?" Nancy asked as she walked over to the security booth. She and Sloane peeked over Jonathan's shoulder as he flicked switches and pressed buttons only for nothing to work.

"No, the power's off," the boy observed with a sigh.

Sloane huffed, crossing her arms and looking at the lab, "Well, that's never a good sign. Are we hoofing it?"

Before anyone answered her, Nancy looked off into the distance as she appeared to hear something the other two didn't. Her voice cautious and worried, she said, "Guys? I think there's something in the woods."

"I hate this stupid town," Sloane tried to sound calm in her complaint, but her confidence was beginning to waver. Before she could say anything else, Nancy began to follow the noise while she and Jonathan chased after her in the darkness.

"Nancy, Nancy, stay back!" Jonathan called, reaching out to hold her back from whatever could be lurking in the night.

"Hello?" a voice came from the woods. Okay, so probably not a monster, that was nice to know.

"Who's there?" Jonathan yelled back.

"Elliot?" Sloane exclaimed as she recognized one of the figures retreating from the woods.