Chapter 27

Trinity had no clue how long she had been unconscious, but as she came to, she realized that she was on her side on the bed in the fetal position with her wrists and ankles tied behind her and a gag in her mouth. She could hear running water in the bathroom.

Looking around, she noticed that the curtains were drawn, but otherwise, there was nothing else different in the room.

Realizing Christopher hadn't placed her in the worst position, she immediately began to work her arms down so she could try to pull them under her legs and get them in front of her again. It took her a minute, but she managed to do it, and as soon as she finished, she started on the zip tie around her legs. If Trinity was quick enough, maybe she could sneak out the door without him realizing she was free. The fact that he had used zip ties made the process next to impossible since she didn't have anything to cut them.

Giving up on freeing her legs, she pulled the gag from her mouth and reached for the phone and hit zero for reception. No sooner had she been connected, then the phone slammed down and was ripped from the wall.

"You never used to fight me, Trinity. Why are you doing it now? You're only going to make things worse for yourself in the end." He yanked her arm, causing her to fall off the bed and land on the floor.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked. "What do you want from me!"

"I'm doing this to teach you a lesson, Trinity. I want you to admit that you should never have left me and that you're ready to come home." Christopher knelt in front of her cutting the zip ties on her legs so she could stand, then he traced her cheek in a gentle gesture before he backhanded her across the face.

Trinity saw stars.

"Admit it. Trinity. You miss me." His hand closed around her throat, ready to squeeze if she said the wrong thing.

Trinity refused to say anything as she looked up at him, waiting for the next injury, and she didn't have to wait long as she hauled her to her feet and spun her into the wall.

"I'm going to have to teach you a lesson you won't forget." He said as he started to roll up his sleeves, watching her, enjoying the fear he saw in her eyes. He was so close to her that she couldn't move as his body flattened hers to the wall.

"Tell me something, were you faithful to me Trinity, or did you let the one they call Levi touch you?" Christopher wasn't looking at her. He was looking at what he was doing.

When she refused to answer, he shook his head. "I'll take that as a yes." Then he went from the appearance of calmness to fury as he drew back his fist and punched her in the stomach. Trinity doubled over in pain.

"Now, it's time for your first lesson." Christopher pulled her towards the bathroom, and when Trinity saw the bathtub full of water, she knew what he was about to do.

"No, Christopher, what do you want me to say. "I'll answer any of your questions." She pushed back on him as hard as she could.

"Did you let him touch you?" he hissed.

"YES! I did, and I loved every minute of it. He makes me feel things you never could."

"Do you love him?" he said in a deadly soft voice.

Trinity knew she should be on her knees, pleading for mercy. She knew it was what he wanted, but she couldn't do it. She wouldn't do it.

"Yes, I love him." The words earned her another slap before he started to pull her towards the bathtub by her hair.

"Are you going to kill me like you did, Illiana?" she screamed.

"Yes, I am," he said. "I'll make it look like a suicide, and no one will be the wiser. I'll leave a note on your computer that says that you killed her, and you couldn't live with the guilt any longer." He pushed her towards the bathtub, and she knew he was going to hold her head under the water until she couldn't hold her breath any longer. He would do it over and over until she passed out again.

Trinity started to scream for all she was worth, bucking like a wild animal. She wouldn't make it easy for him. She had managed to make him lose his balance, and Christopher landed in the bathtub. Still screaming, Trinity tried to get to the door of the room, but he had her before she could get it open. 

He pulled her back into the bathroom, and she was fighting him, every muscle in her back and neck protesting as she slowly inched closer to the water. Then, in an instant, the pressure stopped, and she was free.

Making herself as small as possible, she wedged herself between the toilet and wall, pulling her knees up for protection.

"Trinity, it's Josiah." She felt a hand on her knee and she jumped.

"Trinity!" he tried again, but she couldn't hear him.

It was a few minutes until she heard another voice. "Trinity, sugar. It's Levi." Trinity recognized his voice and looked up at him. "Levi?" she asked.

She reached out for him, and he pulled her close, cradling her in his lap as he rocked her.

"He's gone, Trinity. They've taken him away."

Trinity looked up at him from her swollen eye, tracing his face with her fingers. "Can we go home?" she asked.

He nodded. "Ben is there."

Trinity sniffed, unwilling to let him go so that they could leave. She didn't know how long they sat like that, but eventually, Trinity started to come out of her semi-comatose state, and she looked around. They were alone, sitting on the bathroom floor.

"He tried to kill me. He admitted to killing Ben's wife." Her voice was rough.

"It's enough to put him away for a very long time," Levi told her.

Trinity nodded. "Can we go home now?" she asked again.

"Whenever you're ready, sugar." He held her tight, and the tears started. She uncontrollably sobbed until there were no more tears left. Then after a little more time, she attempted to stand. Her legs were a bit wobbly, but she managed. Looking at herself in the mirror, she was shocked at what she saw. She looked down at Levi, who looked up at her, his face full of concern.

She gave him a shaky smile, taking in his bruised face and damaged wrist. "We're a matching pair," she sniffed.

"That we are sugar, in more ways than one." He made a production of standing up. "Are you ready."

"Can we get out of here without being seen?" she asked. She was a mess and wanted to keep what little of her dignity she had left.

"I think so." Levi pulled out his phone and sent a text. "Josiah will clear the way." 

Trinity nodded and held out her hand. Levi took it and pulled her close, shielding her with as much of his body as he could as they slowly made their way down the stairs and to the waiting car.

"Rita's husband will stop by the house later this evening to get your statement," he said as he settled her into her seat.

She nodded, watching as he buckled her seatbelt.

"Kiss me, Levi?" she ordered.

"Yes, ma'am," he said, grabbing her lips with his own in a gentle kiss. Then he rested his forehead against hers, closing her eyes. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there, Trinity."

"You can't be there all the time, Levi. I don't expect you to be. But you are here now, and that counts for so much more. Please don't give up on me."

"Never, my love. Let's go home.

Trinity nodded. It was over. They both had a lot to work through, but as long as they had each other, they would be alright.