-Chapter One-

I have been in the States for 3 weeks and it suckssssss. None of my fantasies have come true and I can't find good African food anywhere. I'm currently sitting in a little cafe sipping my green tea while watching people hurriedly walk by. New York was always so busy, it seemed to never stop moving. My home town of Epe, Nigeria was nowhere near New York and I missed it dearly. But I had worked hard to get here and was prepared to work my ass off to achieve my dreams.

What I wanted the most is to be a fashion designer. I loved fashion and want to bring my ideas to the world. Before my mom died she told me, "Baby, you can do anything you want to, never settle for less." And I'm determined to live by these words.

New York was no doubt beautiful, the tall glass buildings and green parks where a lot different from Nigeria. Currently I am staying in a crappy one bedroom apartment the size of a janitorial closet in the middle of what can only be described as a ghetto fabulous neighborhood. It was noisy and my neighbor had loud dogs which never seemed to shut up. I wouldn't say that I was happy. I don't think I have been happy especially after my mother died, she died about 9 months ago from a respiratory virus. My father had left us when I was a young girl and my mom had fought tooth and nail to keep me alive and healthy. She loved me with everything she had and I will never ever be able to repay her. I know she would be happy to see me trying to achieve my dream but it hard without her here.

As I came back into reality, I noticed a little girl standing outside the cafe on the sidewalk, maybe 5 or 6 years old, looking around with a worried look on her face, she was holding a small brown bear, she seemed lost. I got up and put a tip on the table, grabbing my purse I put my mug in a bin and left the cafe. I walked up to the girl hoping I wouldn't frighten her.

"Hey sweetie, are you okay?" I asked her gently, kneeling down to meet her eyes

"I-I-I lost mommy." She burst out in tears clutching her bear.

"Its okay sweetie, come here, we're gonna find mommy, what's your name?" She put her arms around me and I lifted her up.

"Marcie."

"Alright Marcie, I'm Zora, what's mommy's name." I asked her wiping away her tears with a tissue.

"Lucia." She replied sniffling.

"Okay that's good, what does mommy look like." I questioned her again while pulling her hair out of her face.

"Mommy has long brown hair, green eyes, and she's wearing a purple dress."

For a 6 year old shes pretty articulate. I started looking around for a purple dress and spotted someone turned around looking frantic. I walked toward her and called out, "Lucia?" She spun around and spotted Marcie. Her face instantly looked relieved. Lucia was beautiful, her lightly tan skin, green eyes, and gorgeous body made me feel self conscious about myself.

"Marcie baby, I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention, Oh baby

"Marcie baby, I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention, Oh baby." She grabbed Marcie out of my arms holding her tight and kissing her cheek.

"Thank you so much, I was so worried, what's your name?" She turned her attention to me, she grabbed my hand shaking it. I noticed she was shaking, poor lady. She sat down at a bench putting Marcie on her lap while checking her over for any injuries.

"Zora and no problem ma'am, I happen to see Marcie outside of the little cafe down the street and thought she might need some help." I smiled at her, and winked at Marcie who blushed, hoping to ease her tension a little bit.

"Is there anything I can do to repay you?" Lucia asked with a relieved face.

"Unless you know somebody hiring then no, but thank you." I joked slightly.

"Actually, I do." She pulled out a small piece of paper from her purse and wrote down an address and phone number.

"Call this number and go here, I know someone who is actually looking for a nanny, not the most glamorous but it has lots of perks, and plus you seem good with kids." She smiled at me and as she handed me the paper she shook my hand once more. Lucia and Marcie walked away but not before Marcie turned around.

"Bye pretty lady, thank you for finding mommy." She called out to me waving. I waved at her, watching the two of them walk back into the crowded side walks of New York.

I looked down at the paper in my hand, elegantly written on it is,

8 Hilltop Drive, Port Chester, NY

(914)-602-7764

Ask for Ziah

Huh, did I really want to be a nanny, I don't know. Lucia said there's great benefits plus its with kids. I love kids, I'd spent majority of my life raising the kids in my village while there parents worked. But did I really want this.

It never hurts to try things out.

With that thought in mind, I called the number, "Hello, may I talk to Ziah?"

Thank you for checking out this first chapter, I hope you enjoyed it. Next chapter Zora will meet our little broken family. Any critiques are welcome, Thank You!