Chapter 4

It seemed to be hell itself on the ship.

The road of the wind and the beat of rain on the deck drowned everything out. A haze seemed to have set in, sheets of water clouding the men from each other.

Above, a rope snapped and the sails flew open, the jolt of the mast sending men into the raging waters where they did not appear again.

There were very few deckhands, a dozen or so men furiously trying to keep the ship alive. Barrels and other debris were scattered everywhere and it seemed that everything not nailed down had found a home among the waves.

I darted across the deck, waves whipping me like a rag doll. At times, I could see waves look next to me, threatening to swallow me whole, but they only threw me off course.

With one foot placed firmly on the steps to the help, I spared a glance over my shoulder and saw Jax making his way toward me.

The rain flattened his hair over his eyes, giving him a paranormal appearance. His actions were sure despite the water pounding around him and he didn't look scared for himself. With the shouts and rapid arm movements, he looked like he was warning me.

After what I had seen, there was no way I was letting him get close enough to trick me again. So, I chose the lesser of the two presumed evils.

"Captain," I huffed, my lungs tight against my ribcage. "One of your men, he was hurt."

"Ya think I 'have time to think about a man while this storm blows us to 'ell?"

I faltered, my mouth hanging agape. "But he's hurt by the hands of another of your crew."

"I'll keep her out of your way," Jax said, his hands grabbing the top of my arm, fingers digging into my skin. Under his breath, he added, "I am not going to hurt you, but we need to go."

"Let me go," I hissed.

"Aye, take her away. She'll be in hysterics soon enough." The captain turned his back and Jax began dragging me back to the stairs despite my desperate struggle.

Just before we reached the end of the platform, I reeled forward, throwing my head back and stomping on the back of Jax's foot. It worked, for just a moment his arms loosened and I wriggled out.

I could feel him snapping at the back of my dress as I closed in on the caption who was yelling at the man grasping the wheel. He looked like he was ready to cry, with swollen eyes and an ominous acceptance. The rain hid any tears that would have been there.

"Please, I grabbed the captain's arm, clinging to the ratted jacket. "He hurt Johnny. If you send me with him, I won't give you any money. Just don't make me go."

"No money, ya say?" The caption seemed to tune everything out but my mention of money. "You're the one who wanted to sail, ya will pay us."

"I'll pay you," I assured, pulling my hands back. "Just let me remain up here."

"I won't have a woman on the helm. Go back to your cabin." The captain threw his hands up and I flinched, scrambling back.

"Come on, Maurea." Jax took my arm, pushing me in front of him, so I was forced to walk ahead of him.

"I don't want to go with you," I pleaded, taking the stairs at a painfully slow pace.

"I'm not going to hurt you, trust me." I hesitated. "The only way you'll survive is to come with me, escape."

It was like a veil was thrown in front of my eyes. The deck seemed darker and the only thing I was sure of was Jax's words. He was right. I couldn't understand why I had questioned him.