Chapter 16

Time slipped away with no nights and days. Without the meals, there would have been nothing to keep me grounded. It was a peaceful life, I could feel the stain from my former reality leeching away every day. It had only been just under two months, but it was the therapy I needed.

I grew closer to Jax and the other Spirits. They had been distant at first, but as I became a regular accurate they began opening to me. I made friends and shed many prejudices that I had been raised with.

The few night swims I took were short, too crowded for my liking. The short sleeves and skin-tight pants we all wore were perfect for the water, cutting through the liquid as elegantly as a seal. The only difference between my attire and those of the other Spirits was the thick gloves I wore, the silver tips adding a layer of protection for my new family.

I ran a brush through the thick tangles that had taken a semi-permanent place on my head. While my hands were occupied, I peered out the window.

Perkha sat in the outer circle of the plaza. As if sensing my eyes on her, she looked up. Her scarf moving over her head as the hidden quills rose under her covering. She smiled, half of her lip curling up.

Just past her, Anuala and Faraji strolled with one of their pupils. It was once a month when they had a chance to fly over the low tides along the cliffs up the coast. They had been crowing about it at the last meal.

A shadow passed the opposite window before stopping in front of me. Dark auburn curls appeared as Jax leaned down to meet my eyes. "Are you ready to go?"

"Just a moment, I'll be out soon."

I closed the shutters out of habit as much as a need for privacy and slipped into the back room. When Jax had suggested raiding ships for metals and jewelry to pawn, it had felt a bit like grave robbing. Nevertheless, I had no money for my name and a need for personal effects.

Intutum had furniture, but no extra combs, pots, or silverware. After borrowing extra tools from my neighbors, I could see them getting irritated.

"Everything is here," I said, closing and locking the door behind me. "Is Helena aware we will be calling on her?"

"Unfortunately," Jax groaned. "She yelled at me for the better part of an hour. You should have told us you wanted money, Helena would have given you some."

"I'd rather not owe anyone. I'll support myself."

We climbed down the ladder and set off through the village. Thin wisps of smoke curled up from a few, antique chimneys. The smell of warm bread emanates from the home of a Spirit who was famous for her pastries, always ready to provide them at the meal.

"You know it would be safer to go at night, avoid crowds who might recognize you."

"I hardly think anyone will recognize me," I mocked. "You don't have to accompany me. I'm not a little girl who needs a guard. I've been to town with my sister before, I can protect myself." I lifted my hands, wiggling my digits. "Especially against humans."

"I'd rather not let a new Spirit whose family is searching for her travel alone. If your family found you," he didn't finish his thought. He didn't have to.

No one else in Intutum knew who I truly was. Jax remained my only confidence and, as such, was the one to help me keep that secret. He had assured me time and time again that a few years and I would fade from the public eyes and no Spirit would remember the lost daughter of the high ranking Hunter.

We climbed the rickety stairs that curved along the wall, disappearing into the stone. The crystals that lit the cave continued with us.

I had never been to the human entrance, only heard about it. No Spirit would choose to walk when they could swim, but there was a need to keep our clothes and hair dry to preserve our normal appearance.