Chapter 19 - Part of a Truth

"Hey May?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you... Do you hate me?"

.

May's P.O.V

I wake up in a cold sweat. My breathing is rough and the room is dark. The moonlight is shining through the window and I check the clock next to my bed. 4:24AM. 

I let out a heavy breath and rub my face with my hand. I'm sweaty. Disgusting.

I don't really feel like sleeping at the moment, so I get out of bed and walk over to my window and pull the curtains aside. The city is still as bright as ever and it's blinding. I quickly close the curtains again and walk out of the room, into the living room. It's quiet but the light from outside luminates the room a little bit. The floor doesn't seem to be mad with me so it doesn't make any sound either.

I take a deep breath to restabilize my breathing and walk over to Peter's door. I carefully pull the handle down and open the door. I lean my body against the door frame and stare at him. He's fast asleep by the sound of his light snoring. His face is turned against me and I look at his face. His curls are slightly covering his eyes and I get a small urge to walk over and get them out of his face. But I decide not to.

Of course I've noticed that every time I give him 'a lesson', the bruises disappears after 1-3 days. It's... suspicious. I mean, imagine Peter being a mutant or something like that. I did not raise him to become something so... so... unnatural.

...

He... he reminds me so much of Ben. Everytime I look at Peter, it's like I see a younger version of Ben. His father and Ben were brothers, so of course they'd look alike. But Peter. He has the same eyes, the same nose, the same ambition to do good. And look where that got Ben.
I can't stand looking at Peter. It just reminds me of him too much. I loved Ben and I can't bare to see him.

So when Peter is all bruised up, it's like he's Peter. Not Ben. Peter's nose has been broken a couple of times, but it still looks the same. When I think I don't have to see Ben and only Peter, I'm able to see eye to eye with the boy. But not even a week after, he is back. He walks around the apartment. The image of his ghost haunts me.

I really can't stand to see that. To see him.

And no. I feel no guilt. I don't feel like I'm hitting my late husband. It's like punishing someone for stealing his identity. His skin, his eyes.

...

I close the door and walk back to my bedroom, getting into bed and just lay there for a couple of minutes before falling asleep.

.

.

.

Peter's P.O.V

"Okay. SO! GIVE ME THE TEA PETER! YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE A MESSAGE SAYING YOU MET THE AV-" I put my hand over Ned's mouth and give him a small glare.

"Dude." I say, taking my hand back.

"I'm sorry... But seriously Peter. You can't just leave me on a cliffhanger." Ned whines and MJ chuckles at his behavior.

"W-well... I thought I could, like, tell you irl." I mumble and MJ raises an eyebrow. "Aaaannnndddd texting takes too much energy." I shrug my shoulders.

"I could barely sleep. Now I need info. WHO'D YOU MEET? HOW WERE THEY? WHY THE FUCK WHERE YOU EVEN THERE TO BEGIN WITH?! *Le gasp* DID THEY DISCOVER YOUR IDENT-" I put my hand over Ned's mouth again and he keeps on mumbling. I look at MJ, praying for her help. She looks at Ned, then at me.
Then she walks away, leaving me alone with Ned and his babbling.