Chapter 29 - Everything's Okay

Peter's P.O.V

"Goodbye Peter."
"I always loved you."

.

My eyes snap open and my body flies up. But I instantly regret that action for a great deal of pain surge through my body.

I let out a wince but my eyes are wide open, scanning my surroundings. Sunlight is shining in from behind the curtains of a window next to the bed I'm laying in, washing away the vestiges of the horror.

The room is a pale white color and I'm laying in a soft bed covered with a great deal of blankets. The room isn't too big, but not too small either and there's just a soothing feeling to it.

I feel all sweaty and raise my hand to rub my eye. I then realize my entire body is covered in bandages. I also realize that I'm in hospital clothes instead of my suit.

My chest feels heavy and I touch it with my right hand since my left is in a plaster. I don't know what I'm searching for, yet I sweep my fingers over my chest, as if something would appear and give me some sort of answer to the questions not yet found in my head.

I let out a heavy sigh, sending a sharp stabbing pain on my lungs, but somehow, I feel more alive than ever.

Suddenly, the door to my room is slowly being pulled open and I feel my heartbeat quicken. I don't know why but just the feeling of being defenceless is quite alarming.

When the door is open, he steps in but he stops dead in his tracks when his dark brown eyes land on me.

We look at each other for a few seconds before he waves his hand to someone behind him.

"Rhodey... could you...?"

"Yeah, I'll... uhh... I'll be upstairs if you...uhh... if you need me." Rhodey says, closing the door behind him.

With slow heavy steps, Mr. Stark makes it over to my bed and sits down in one of the chairs next to it.

A silence falls between us and it's only broken when Mr. Stark lets out a heavy sigh.

"Goddamnit Peter... I'm...- You seriously just...-" He stops. Silence. Then another sigh. "I... I'm glad you're okay..."

His expression is soft, but he avoids eye contact. I look at him for a moment before my gaze lands on my hands.

"I'm not dead... That's a good thing, right?" I try and he looks up at me with a melancholy look before chuckling and leaning back in his chair.

"...Yeah."

A smile appears on his lips and he takes my hand and squeez it tight.

"Don't you Ever do that again, you hear me?" He continues to smile, pointing a finger at me.

"What? Did I not return before 1AM like you said?" I joke and he scoffs.

"By that, I also meant, not beaten to a pulp." Tony fires back.

"How was I suppose to know it was... was..." I stop for a second, my smile faltering and I start remembering what had really occurred during the attack.

"Kid?"

"She... She was... May. May was there and she... she knew..." I look at Tony with a troubled look. "And she... S-she said she loved me before...-"

I feel a hot tear roll down my cheek and I look back down at my hands. Tony's grip tightens.

"Did she...- D-do you think she really meant it...?" I look up at Tony again and another tear escapes my eye. "What if she just... All these years, maybe she just... she just had a lot of troubles and getting it out on me helped her and... and in reality she really loved me...? Maybe... maybe I've just been... been too selfish and egotistical to notice and take her struggles to acount and... and I was just making everything worse and-"