Chapter 2: Versatility of Beauty Products

Addie's POV:

The mysterious phone call ended and the strange man left again. I dropped the ziptie I'd been holding to make him think I was still stuck and turned towards the man I learned was named Kaden.

"What the hell was that about?" I asked.

He lifted his head slightly and scooted closer to my cell, wincing as he moved.

"That was Xander. The Alpha. Your mate," he answered.

Mate. There was that word again. I bit back the sarcastic comment because Kaden was in pretty bad shape and continuing the arguing wasn't going to get us out of there.

"Okay. So you're telling me werewolves and vampires are real," I began, holding up one finger. "And that vampires took me to manipulate my mate," I held up a second finger. "And that my mate is a werewolf and the Alpha of your pack," I finished with a third finger.

Kaden nodded meekly, looking up at me with a concerned frown.

"You realize that all sounds batshit crazy?" I breathed out, shaking my head.

"You have to believe me, Luna. We have to get you out of here," he said, leaning his head against the bars.

I shook my head before dropping it in my hands.

"Please stop calling me that," I groaned. "I have no idea what it means and it's not my name. Just call me Addie, okay?"

"Yes, Lun- er, Addie."

"Thank you," I said, lifting my head and rolling my eyes. "All right, listen. Can you prove to me you're a werewolf?"

"Not right now. The silver keeps me from shifting," he explained, lifting his bound hands.

"Silver. Right. Of course. Why not?" I laughed humorlessly.

"The legends came from somewhere," he shrugged.

"Sure. I suppose I kill the vampires with a wood stake and weaken them with garlic, huh?"

"It doesn't have to be a stake specifically, any sharp wood through the chest will work. You can hurt them other ways just like we can hurt other ways, they just heal fast like we do, the wood is the one thing they can't recover from. Not the garlic thing though. I don't know where that came from," he admitted, closing his eyes and lowering his head. "Don't worry. Xander will find us. Especially now he knows about you. He won't rest until he finds you."

"Sure, sure. I mean, why shouldn't he? He has only never met me," I said, throwing my arms up.

"It doesn't matter," Kaden said, shaking his head. "He'll have felt the bond when he saw you."

Bond. Mate. Werewolf. God, I was going to lose my mind. I leaned forward, resting my head against the cell and breathing out.

"Okay. Let's say for argument's sake I believe you," I started.

I didn't believe him. I didn't believe him one bit. But he looked like he'd taken quite a bit to the head and if entertaining him meant we both would get out then I would take it. I could work with weird metaphors.

"Theoretically, if I got you out of the silver, you would be able to turn into a wolf and get us out?" I clarified.

"It may take a minute," Kaden nodded. "I'm very weak. I'll need to heal."