Chapter 37: A Natural Luna

Xander POV:

I wasn't sure how long I'd been out but even unconscious I swear I could feel Addie. It was like our bond reached a new level and somehow she was with me even when I wasn't awake. It was different than it was before. Our bond was more open, like she was finally not only letting me in but reaching out to me.

A few times I heard her voice though I couldn't make out what she was saying but just hearing and knowing she was there brought me a strange sense of calm after the shit that happened. Finally, I was waking up and I felt her stronger than I ever had before.

"Fuck," I groaned, squeezing my eyes together tightly even though they were already closed. My shoulder and chest ached something awful

"Are you hurting?"

Goddess, that voice. I felt Addie's fingers brush against my forehead and I opened my eyes, finding her sitting next to me on the bed. I felt and saw the relief come over here when our eyes met and she bent down, kissing my forehead.

"What do you need? Pain killers?" She asked, running her fingers through my hair. Nothing had ever felt so good despite the pain.

"No. I'll be fine," I said, sitting up and wincing at the weight I put on my right side.

"Careful," she frowned.

I couldn't help the chuckle because it was almost exactly what it was like not too long ago when she woke up in the infirmary and tried to sit up. I sat up and met her eyes again. "We're coming full circle here, love."

"I'm glad you're well enough to find this funny," she said, trying not to smile and leaning over, pressing her lips against mine quickly. "I'm so glad you're awake," she whispered, pressing her forehead against mine. "You scared the shit out of me."

"It's payback for the stunts you pulled with Allister," I said, letting my eyes shut. Just being close to her like this was making everything else fade away.

It couldn't last forever though. I wasn't sure how long I'd been out or what the hell was happening but right now was not the right time to be weak, we still had Rego, the rogues and the vampires to deal with.

"How long have I been out?" I asked, swinging my legs off the bed.

"Xander, don't," Addie said, sliding off the bed and standing in front of me. "Please rest some more. You're still in pain."

"I'm fine, love. It's just sore," I said, rolling my shoulder back, trying to ignore the twinge of pain. "I have shit to get done. How'd Travis take the news?" I asked reluctantly.

"He was pretty freaked out at first but," she shrugged. "He's mostly fine now. And you don't need to worry about getting anything done. We've taken care of it."

"What do you mean, we?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"Kaden and Tess helped me figure stuff out and there's nothing you're behind on because we've kept up with it. So please," she said, setting her hand on my uninjured shoulder. "Just stay in bed. At least until Anna checks you."

"You helped with pack business?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

She bit her lip and nodded, darting her eyes away. "I wanted to help you. I didn't want you to wake up and immediately start working," she brought her eyes back to mine and set her hand on my face, narrowing her eyes at me. "So you better stay in this goddamn bed until Anna checks you."

Hearing that she'd stepped up for me was the best thing I could've heard. I grabbed the back of her head and pulled her into a kiss. "Thank you, love," I murmured against her lips.