Chapter 23: Rogues

Xander POV:

I watched her dance with the other bridesmaids and Tasha's nieces and nephews. It was sweet to see her like that when she so often was a spitfire. I couldn't help but think what a great mother she would be. I wondered if she wanted kids.

Goddess, one thing at a time, Xander...

It would probably be wise for me to back off on the serious things. It caught me off guard when she said she'd known me less than a week. It didn't feel like it was so recent. I already felt like I'd known her my whole life. I smiled as she spun around with Tasha, singing along to the song they danced to.

"Usually can't get her to dance without some alcohol."

I turned to see Travis taking a seat next to me. I clenched my jaw and reminded myself I promised to be nice.

"She's willing to make sacrifices for her friends," I answered.

"Very true," Travis responded, sipping on a drink. "So, Xander. What do you do for a living?"

I couldn't help the smile as I glanced over at him.

"Are you about to give me 'the talk'?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He chuckled and shrugged. "Maybe."

"Unnecessary. If anyone's heart ends up broken it'll definitely be mine. I know something good when I see it." And I know what's mine when I see it.

"She hasn't told me much about you," he said, seeming bothered by that fact. "How long you guys been together?"

Shit. That wasn't something we'd discussed. Best to be vague.

"I suppose I don't know when we would've considered it official," I shrugged. "I've been crazy about her since the day I met her."

Travis nodded, seeming to accept that answer. He sipped on his drink and frowned as he stared ahead. He clearly had something specific to say. I would try to reign in my temper.

"Go ahead," I sighed

He looked over at me questioningly, raising an eyebrow.

"Whatever it is you actually came over here to say," I pressed. "The small talk is unnecessary."

"What happened when she was taken?" He asked.

More blunt than I expected. I sat up straighter in my chair and gave him a side-glance.

"I'm afraid that's not my story to tell," I said. "I'm sure she'll tell you when she's ready."

He frowned but nodded, finishing off the last of his drink.

"You helped her?" He pressed.

"As much as she needed it. She was very strong about the whole thing."

"Sounds about right," he chuckled humorlessly. "Thanks for watching out for her."

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. Of course I was looking out for her. She was mine. I couldn't think of a good answer so I just nodded which seemed to be enough because he left.

I looked back to the dance floor and saw Addie approaching, looking over at Travis. She clasped her hands together and frowned.

"You weren't rude, were you?" She asked.

"Why are you assuming I'm the one that would be rude?" I frowned.

"You're the jealous one," she shrugged.

"So are you, love," I reminded her.

"Whatever," she huffed, crossing her arms. "If I drink, do you promise to not take advantage even if I throw myself at you?"