Guilt

"Hey Liza. Hey Adam," I greeted the pair as I entered my home and dropped my backpack at the bottom of the stairs. My aunt appeared to be teaching her boyfriend how to make cupcakes. I hoped they were red velvet. I could really go for some of those right now. 

"Hey, hon. How was your presentation?" she asked, looking up from the bowl of batter Adam was hand mixing. 

"Nailed it," I said, taking a seat at the kitchen island. "The teacher even complemented us on it when we finished."

"That's awesome, kid!" Adam pitched in with a proud grin. I had practiced my parts out loud in front of them a few times over the last couple of nights to make sure all of my sentences had a nice flow to them. Needless to say, they were now as invested in the project's results as I was. 

After a few months of them dating, I was getting more comfortable being in the same room as Adam. He was a really nice guy. I still had trouble looking him in the eye, but he didn't pressure me to. That was something I appreciated about him. Though he didn't know exactly what happened to me, he knew it was bad and that his appearance was a bit triggering to me. He respected my boundaries and overall did his best to encourage me. 

Nothing against Liza, but I kind of liked having another guy around the house. He even made us burgers one night, which was awesome since Liza had a death fear of the grill we had on the back deck. Once when she was grilling kebabs early last summer, the grill somehow caught on fire. We had to get the fire department to come put it out and everything. She's been terrified of it ever since. Adam didn't mind the challenge though, which was good because I liked burgers. 

"You still planning on going out tonight?" Liza asked, a curious glint in her eye. 

"Yeah," I said, stealing a bit of the freshly made frosting occupying an unattended bowl on the counter. Liza glared at me for sticking my finger in the bowl, but I just smirked and said, "I'll be out of your hair from seven until eleven, so you two can have all kinds of fun while I'm gone."

I miscalculated how quickly my aunt could procure a wooden spatula with which to smack me over the head. I grinned and ducked away from her before she could do exactly that, hiding behind Adam as she circled around the island. 

"I thought I taught you manners," she grumbled playfully when she realized she wouldn't be able to catch me. 

"Actually, I learned my manners from my mother, and they are impeccable. I just choose when I want to use them."

"Don't make me ground you," she threatened, though there was no actual intent behind her words. I smiled and stuck my tongue out at her before heading to the stairs. 

"Call me down when cupcakes are ready!"

×××

I never thought I would find myself willingly in the home of Holiday Tucker, but here I was. Jason and I were laying on his bed, or rather, he was laying on the bed and I was laying perpendicular to him, using his stomach as a pillow. Thankfully, no one was using the house to simulate a rave today, so the house was relatively quiet. 

Jason gently combed his fingers through my hair, and that combined with the steady rise and fall of him breathing beneath me had me ready to fall asleep.

"What are you thinking about," I asked tiredly, turning my head to see him staring at a random spot on the ceiling. 

"All kinds of things," he responded in a distant voice. His eyes fell down to meet mine and he continued. "You mostly."

I blushed faintly and smiled, leaning up to place a kiss on his lips before laying my head down on his shoulder. 

"What about me?" I asked as I traced small shapes on his chest through his shirt. 

"How you need a haircut," he chuckled as he continued playing with my hair. 

I pouted, letting a small huff of air escape through my nose.

"And your eyes."

I looked up at him, placing a soft kiss on his jaw in appreciation. 

"And your lips." 

I kissed lower, nuzzling into his neck to place a singular kiss against the soft skin there.

"Mostly your lips."

I sat up and leaned over him again, softly connecting our lips. This kiss lasted a little longer than the last, but it was still just as warm and sweet. I pulled back after a moment and gazed back down at him with a content smile. My angel.

"You know sometimes I'm afraid that this is all a dream," he told me.

"What do you mean?"

He shrugged and scooched himself up so he could get into a sitting position. I sat back to give him room.

"I don't know, I just... I think about the day you left a lot. I'm afraid I'll wake up back in the tree house and you won't be there."

Guilt weighed down my previously light mood. I know it crushed him when I left because it had crushed me too. I didn't want to leave him, but when the police questioned me after arresting my father, they found out I had been effectively homeless for a few months and called my aunt. She came to get me immediately, and after the whole trial to lock my dad up for good, she brought me back to live with her. Telling Jason was horrible. I wanted to cry the whole time. I knew he wanted to break down too, to beg me to stay, but we both new it was for the best. So we had to say goodbye. 

"I didn't know if I'd ever see you again," he whispered.

"Well," I moved to sit beside him, laying my head on his shoulder, "I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere."

He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me into his side.

"Good," he let his head rest against mine. "Because I don't think I could lose you again."

×××
A/N

Is ThAt TwO uPdAtEs In TwO dAyS? wHaT's GoInG oN?

In light of recent events, I'm going to change the parameters of my current US giveaway to make it easier for people to enter (since nobody is leaving their houses anymore). Expect an announcement early next week with the new details on how to enter for a chance to win 1 of 5 signed copies (the deadline will likely change too).

My spidey senses are tingling... the end of this book is near. Thanks for being patient with me as I battled writers block and excessive amounts of Thermodynamics homework!

Stay safe and healthy,
-Mora Montgomery