7

Cyra and Poe took off in different directions. He huffed slightly, snapping her name quickly, before she was grabbed by him and yanked the way he ran, subtly reminding her that she did not know where to go. She shook her hand free of him and ran closely behind as he sprinted to the other side of the Base, where a number of other Something-in-Commands had rallied in a warehouse.

As the panicked leaders of the Resistance yelled across a table at each other, Cyra was only able to pick out a number of details, mainly that they had a mere day before the First Order ships were upon them. Leia began delegating orders. The instructions were clear: evacuate.

Cyra waited patiently for everyone to clear the bunker before she was able to see Leia. The older woman raised her hand, gesturing for Cyra to push through everyone and come to her.

"Leia, I--"

"You have to go," interrupted Leia. She turned and faced her back to the few members of the Resistance that remained in the warehouse. "If you chose this to not be your fight all those years ago, I won't ask you to choose it now. Take an X-Wing and go, before they're here. If he senses you, if Snoke does, you'll be no match to combat them."

Cyra stared at Leia in shock, confused at the lack of a fight Leia had regarding her departure. Admittedly, the imminent emergency at hand broke Cyra's steadfast attitude towards leaving. She was close to danger, the minute those sirens went off, and she almost wished Leia would ask her to stay in the moment. She could not act so cold and isolated when she was at the heart of the action. She wanted to help the Resistance escape, but Leia was apparently unconcerned with more aid. 

Leia's suspicions around how the First Order found the new base within a matter of days was at the forefront of her mind. An inkling, a premonition told her she knew precisely what happened. But Cyra did not need to know, she did not need anything more on her conscious after the events of the past few days. 

Leia pulled Cyra close into her. They hugged tightly. Cyra's brain was scrambling through the various things she wanted to thank Leia for-- for answering her call, for understanding why she wanted no part of this, for being the motherly figure through her entire life. In proximity of potential death, being close to the war, an upcoming fight, the hardened exterior Cyra grew over the last years chipped away. This was what Leia's life was now, and Cyra faced the harsh truth that she left her to do this alone.

"What if I don't see you again?" Cyra blurted out.

Leia huffed. "You're choosing now to be sentimental on me?"

Cyra rolled her eyes. "Fine. Just keep your line open. I might need another rescue some time."

"I will," smiled Leia. She pulled Cyra's face down to her and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I wish you luck on wherever your journey leads, my dear Cyra. I hope you find peace."

Cyra sighed. She nodded, wishing Leia the same. She  paused to take one final look at Leia, but Leia cut any more sentiments short by waving her hands for the girl to go. Cyra turned and ran. It was only as she was running away that she noticed something in her balled up fists. She opened her hand and saw a folded slip of paper, a list of coordinates on them. She shoved the list in her pocket.

A crowd was gathered around the entrance of the Med Bay as they rushed patients to evacuate. Cyra avoided the door and ran alongside the building, searching for her own cracked window. She slid through it. She grabbed her backpack, having barely opened it in the first place, gathered her jacket, and shoved the remaining few portion packets on her bed into her jacket pocket.

Cyra climbed through her window once more and headed immediately for the airstrip. She picked a regular X-Wing, although she did consider taking Poe's, and pulled a latter to her with the Force. She hoped into the cockpit, stealing the helmet resting on the seat. The X-Wing fired up.

Cyra settled her hands on the controls. She entered in the first set of coordinates given to her by Leia. She manuevered the X-Wing into the runway strip, taking off into the atmosphere shortly afterwards, and flying far away from D'Qar, pretending as if abandoning those people did not bother her. At least, she thought, Leia was with her on one thing, if they disagreed on most else: Cyra was safer the further away she was from Kylo Ren.