28

Kef Bir— a moon of Endor. As Finn and Rey stood at the edge of the cliff, overlooking the wreckage of a war before their lives, they could barely hear each other over the sounds of the massive, crashing waves.

Chewbacca remained on the Falcon, trying to repair the old girl, and Rey had taken his bag, knowing the dagger was safely inside. She reached into it, pausing as her fingers passed along the hilt of a lightsaber that was not hers. Confused, she opened the bag further and pulled it out.

Finn looked over when Rey didn't pull out the dagger. He raised his eyebrow. "Whose is that?"

Rey's heart sunk the longer she held it in her hand. She could not see clearly in her mind the face of the girl it belonged to, but she could feel her presence lingering around the saber. "It's Cyra's," she whispered, turning to Finn. His face fell. She held the lightsaber close to her chest. "It's Cyra's lightsaber."

"How did it get into Chewbacca's bag?" asked Finn, confused.

"Kylo Ren," said Rey with ur a second to think about it. If she hadn't known Ben was trying to return to the light by their previous conversation, she knew definitively now by his care for Cyra. "I found Chewie's stuff in his quarters. He must have put it in his bag, knowing we would find it."

"And do what with it?" asked Finn.

"Tell Leia," she said, again. Suddenly, it was like she knew what to do. She held Cyra's lightsaber and it all became true and simple. "Kylo didn't kill her, but he kept her lightsaber. He gave it back to us, knowing he didn't deserve to keep it, knowing it was meant to be with Leia, with the Light. That means something. It has to."

Rey stepped closer to Finn as he started to call Leia over hologram. She answered quickly.

"What is it? Are you all alright?" she asked worriedly.

"We're fine. Everyone's fine," said Rey. She held the lightsaber into view. "Recognize this?"

Leia's face squinted as she peered closer. Her eyes softened, and a hand fell over her heart. "T-That's Ben's old lightsaber."

"Ben's?" repeated Finn and Rey together. Rey continued, "Ben's? I thought it was Cyra's."

"She took it when he turned," explained Leia. "Where did you find that?"

"I think he gave it to us," explained Rey. "He didn't kill her, I know it. He was defensive, sad, grieving. The same he felt when Han died. But when he had Chewie aboard the Finalizer, he must have given Cyra's saber back, and I think it was meant for you."

"What do you think it means?" asked Finn.

Leia sighed. She scratched her forehead, suddenly feeling rather faint. She could have guessed Ben didn't kill Cyra. She knew nothing about the womans death other than confirmation she died and it was not at peace. It was abrupt and unplanned and although she could not feel Ben as strongly as she once did, she knew he would be a different man. The first time he thought she died he turned to the Dark Side, so a reaction was expected, but she knew by the subtle act of giving her lightsaber back to the Light that a turn was on his mind.

"I think we must not underestimate him," said Leia softly. She wobbled, causing a few Resistance fighters to run her way to steady her, to which she waved away. "Rey, Finn, you have to hurry. Let me worry about Ben and Cyra. Continue on with your mission."

Rey and Finn nodded. "I'll make sure her lightsaber gets back to you, Leia," promised Rey.

Leia nodded, giving them both smiles. "May the Force be with you all," she said promptly, then ended the call.