19. Fire & Ice - Erdudvyl

The flames that had burst around the forest had started to become unbearable as the heat tingled the nerve endings of Erdudvyls's face and hands. The stench of burning timber filled her nostrils and briefly dulled some of her other senses forcing her focus on the surroundings and things of importance.

She knew this was but a dream, but everything felt and looked so vivid that she was questioning whether the dream world and reality was starting to meld together.

She tried to take a step forward but the flames pushed her back forcing her to cover her face as embers licked her skin. Instead, she took a step back, giving her an opportunity to focus on what was in the centre of it all.

A darkened silhouette appeared to shriek in agony as the flames lept up around them and despite Erdudvyl's attempts, there was no way she could step forward to assist.

"Who are you?" she called hoping to gain some understanding of this vision or dream.

The silhouette screamed once more that it pierced Erdudvyl's eardrums. She was desperate to help but there was no way of reaching the person in agony.

Raising her hand, she attempted to send some of her life force to the person or creature in the centre, but her powers were useless.

Erdudvyl tried again, but nothing. Helplessness washed over her, she had always been able to perform some of her powers in these dreams, but here she felt incapable, she felt mortal, she felt naked.

"Who are you? How can I help you?" she cried.

The silhouette just cried and groaned once more as the smell of burning flesh made Erdudvyl want to wretch the contents of her stomach.

Falling to her knees, Erdudvyl sickness forced her into a coughing fit which took her an age to recover from. The overbearing smell and the pure helplessness she felt was too much for her to bear.

It was then that the sky, in all its painted red and blacks, shone a glowing white light like nothing she had seen before.

There was a loud roar causing her to cover her ears and before she could look up to see what was happened, there was a thick blanket of snow surrounding her.

The bitterness of the air hit hard and Erdudvyl attempted to cover her now freezing arms. With a large blizzard now descending upon her, the tingling feeling on her skin was now turning to a numbness that was becoming insufferable.

The silhouette had moved, and there was no anguish anymore, just the crunch as they took steps through the settling snow.

Was this the same person who was just moments before, dying, or was this someone else different entirely?

Getting to her feet, Erdudvyl started to push forward towards the silhouette, she called out to the person, but their steps were quicker and their distance was becoming greater.

'This dream makes little sense' Erdudvyl thought to herself, as the silhouette started to disappear through the horrendous downpour of hail and snow.

She stopped and rubbed her arms, her breath clearly visible as she exhaled. She couldn't endure this nightmare much more, the feeling in her arms was almost gone.

Suddenly, Erdudvyl heard a crunch behind her, followed by another, followed by another. Each one gradually getting closer causing her to turn to investigate.

Another crunch and then a clang, the sound of heavy metal, and then a sliding sound of metal rubbing against metal. As she turned towards the sound, she was greeted with nothing.

Taking a deep breath, attempting to regain her composure, Erdudvyl spotted him in the corner of her eye. The dark towering figure of Wendon Pykeston, 'the Shadow', his broadsword already swinging wildly towards Erdudvyl's neck.