35. Hagrefjord - Ethelston

Ethelston had forgotten the freedom of climbing onto his horse and just have the two of them enjoy the open road together. He had also forgotten how much his buttocks ached after a day's ride.

Despite the aching pain, he revelled in the liberty he was experiencing, as the pattering of rain droplets splashed his face and glistened his black horse, it did little to bother him.

The hooves of his horse sank gradually into the muddying road allowing Ethelston to enjoy the squelch it made. It reminded him of the little things that instilled satisfaction in the life of a mercenary. At this moment, it felt as if no home was his home.

It had been some time since Ethelston had entered the archway of Hagrefjord. Originally a small fishing village south of Ravenscourt, as the Ravenscourt province fell into disarray, so did the fishing community in the village. Due to its location by the sea and distance from a major city, it became a den for smugglers, using the fishermen as a smokescreen for their profitable activities.

Over time more and more disreputable's would gather there to perform various nefarious business. For a mercenary, it was a great place to find or gain information about a potential job.

The horse shuddered slightly as doors from one of the buildings swung open, leaving a man sprawling naked out onto the mud. Initially slipping, he hurried onto his feet before racing through the streets. As if on cue, another angry man raced out from the same house, fully clothed with a dagger in hand. It didn't take him long to raise his head and sprint after the exposed man.

A cheer erupted further down the street encouraging Ethelston to chuckle to himself. Apparently, the naked man had just run past one of the taverns.

Easing his horse towards the same tavern, he studied the men drinking on the outside. As he climbed off, none of them appeared to be paying him much attention. However, Ethelston was wise to the fact that they studied his every move.

Before he had placed his boot in the mud, everyone in that tavern would know he had arrived. As he placed his second boot down and began to tie up his horse, he gave a quick sigh of relief. If there was anyone that had an outright grudge against him, it was likely they would have exited the tavern along with a host of others who wished to join in the sport.

Straightening his jacket, he strolled confidently towards the door, parting a few nods as a couple of tankards were raised in his direction. He did not know these men, but some of them had likely fought by his side, or at least, revered the reputation of the Manticore Hunter.

The tavern was boisterous as patrons drank and shouted and laughed. None appeared interested in his arrival; they just seemed content to enjoy whatever takes they had recently acquired.

Sitting down at the bar, Ethelston placed his hands carefully in front of him, waiting for the bar lady to walk her way up to serve him.

She deliberately took her time, a sign of intimidation and authority. There's was nothing that Ethelston could do to speed up her service except to wait patiently. Few rules existed in Hagrefjord, but there was always an unwritten rule that establishment owners were protected at all costs. There was no law enforcement, but it wouldn't take long for everyone within the tavern to rush to her aid.

Ethelston chuckled to himself when he realised, that despite being the second most powerful man in the Isovine empire, on paper, he was being made to wait by a bar wench. He smirked as she eventually looked up and waltzed her way forward to him.

"What's so funny?" she growled at him, her large frame proving to be more intimidating with each step.

"Oh, just a joke I remembered, " lied Ethelston, "a tankard of your finest and a Desert Viper to go with it."