32. Pigeon - Erdudvyl

Erdudvyl was exhausted.

The jubilation from having front seats to watching Loldirr's execution erupt into complete chaos had spurred Erdudvyl to continuously practising phasing throughout the rest of the day and night until she could not keep her eyes open much longer. When she awoke unceremoniously on the floor the next day, still fully dressed, she realised just how much energy it had zapped from her.

Her muscles ached so much that it had taken a humongous effort to even lift herself from the floor and raise herself onto her feather bed.

It appeared that, at this time, the Emperor's efforts did not focus on her, instead, the only time she had been disturbed was to have food placed into her chambers. She didn't know if the girl who gave her the food was instructed not to talk to her or was just plain mute, but Erdudvyl knew that the girl could never be a source of information.

Despite all the pain, the lack of energy and the desire for sleep, Erdudvyl knew that information was key. She needed to find where the elusive Loldirr had laid low. She also needed to find out what plans the Emperor had for Ravenscourt. Time was of the essence, she needed to act now.

A pigeon flew onto her balcony using the opportunity to look for food below. Erdudvyl smiled as it waddled from side to side examining the floor, the people, the other birds in a hope of obtaining some sort of nourishment despite being plump enough to not necessarily need it.

Easing herself off the bed, Erdudvyl gingerly edged her way towards the observant bird. "Milde, " she spoke softly just before the pigeon was ready to take flight.

As she reached the balcony, the pigeon waddled its way over to her, hopping onto Erdudvyl's wrist as she lowered it.

Erdudvyl smiled as she rubbed the pigeon's chin enjoying how the pigeon responded to her touch, pushing against her finger for more.

"Hæfen."

The soft words spoken through her lips made Erdudvyl stand frozen while her consciousness embedded itself inside the pigeon. Looking around the room initially felt bizarre as everything was so clear. As she looked up towards her body, it clearly glowed and had an aura around it. The true sight of the pigeon was spectacular.

She raised her arms, feeling no pain from her previous trials, and watched as a wing raised itself. It had been some while since she last performed this ritual inside of a bird, but it didn't take her long to remember. There were obvious limitations to controlling a bird, but there were also various freedoms, freedoms she hadn't realised she missed until this moment.

Pushing herself into the air, she flapped away from the balcony, soaring through the air. The wind brushed itself against her face, almost caressing her through her fluttering feathers. With her wings outstretched, she used the air to manoeuvre herself over the courtyard and towards the city. The freedom was exhilarating.

Flapping wildly, she headed for the ground feeling the wind buffeting her face. Gaining tremendous speeds, the thrill made her heart pound rapidly, only for her to pull herself towards the sky and raise her wings out wide. Gliding through the air like a plump missile, this was a feeling she promised herself to never forget again.

Remembering why she had inhabited the pigeon she span around and returned to the Lionmane keep, blasting her way onto the roof of the throne room.

Waddling around the roof, she looked for any opening that she could find, but when she eventually found one, the room lay vacant except two guards chatting about irrelevant things. It wasn't until a door opening echoed throughout the hall that she realised her trespassing was not in vain.

"Ruvia are only performing skirmishes at this time, your majesty. With the leaves soon to turn golden, I believe they only intend to weaken us throughout the winter."