43. Knight Inquisitor - Ethelston

The halls of Ravenscourt had not seen this much commotion for many winters.

For the past few moons, servants had been working tirelessly to prepare the main hall for the gathering of the lords and knights of the Ravenscourt Dukedom. With Kirken in Lionmane, Jarendrud had taken up the mantle to prepare the castle, and its rooms for its many new guests.

Not that Kirken would have been preparing the rooms anyway, Ethelston had spent long hours imagining punishment for his previous steward. Betrayal to his family and subsequent tyranny he brought on the city demanded it to be severe.

Jarendrud, however, Ethelston had great admiration for. How he managed to perform his roles as a spymaster, chamberlain and stand-in steward was beyond him. His work ethic and efficiency were outstanding, yet Ethelston knew that everyone had their limits. Perhaps once things had settled, he could begin enquiries into getting a replacement steward.

The city was still raw from the Black Knife Syndicate subjugation, but delaying the call of the House Darke vassals could wait no longer. To delay would be seen as weakness, and no matter how much of a mess the city was in, Ethelston could not afford to be seen as weak.

Hedge knights, barons, viscounts and counts had arrived over the past few moons to reiterate their fealty to House Darke, and they were in a loud voice as they scoffed the fantastic food that Ethelston's staff had obtained. Even the Duke, himself, was pleasantly surprised just how sumptuous and succulent the boar meat he tore into his mouth tasted. It was some of the best food he could remember ever having.

The Lord's of the Ravenscourt Dukedom were equally surprised. As they gorged on the food and revelled in the drink, if they had seen chaos outside the walls of the keep, it was undoubtedly forgotten.

"Lord Darke, this meat is simply divine!" one knight called out, causing Ethelston to smile in response.

Despite how well the evening was going, Ethelston still felt a little anxious. All vassal's had answered the call, all but one. That one being the most influential Count in the entire Dukedom. If he decided not to show this night, then others would surely not follow when they would be called to action.

The entire evening and the planned hunt the next morning would be in absolute ruin should this single individual not make an appearance.

High in the upper floor, Aryya skulked in a darkened corner, out of sight for all to see, except the ever alert Duke of Ravenscourt. As she nodded, it gave Ethelston a chance to breathe with a little ease. It appeared the Count, and his entourage had arrived.

This was only the beginning, though. This Count was a notoriously difficult and obstinate man, prone to fits of rage and repeatedly argued with the late Duke Darke. However, Edric had always encouraged Ethelston to study men of this ilk. If even his brittle nature could be moulded appropriately, then Ethelston would have what it takes to lead.

The massive doors of the hall opened causing all within it to whip their heads around to see who would enter.

Before anyone entered, the announcer bellowed "Count Ithelred Renfry, Count of Caernleigh and Earl of Bravensrook, Knight Inquisitor of the realm." Just as the announcer finished, Count Ithelred strode briskly into the hall. His large frame was made even more menacing by his expensive, elaborate red-furred coat housing his golden deer emblem on a black background. As his steps gobbled up the space between him and Ethelston at the head table, his face showed no joy but years of tribulation and war. His grey beard was bushy but well kept; his blue eyes were cold and lifeless.

Ethelston knew him well. Everything he did was for show. Count Ithelred exerted power and influence wherever he went, and he was one of the few chosen by the late Emperor Aex-Igh to hold the title Knight Inquisitor. Knight's of the realm that was honoured for multiple acts of valour and considered equal to Kings in terms of importance to the empire, despite not necessarily holding the land to support that claim.