44. The Fæordic - Loldirr

The smell of lilac, blood and spices barraged Loldirr's nose as her consciousness brought her back to the living.

It had been challenging to determine what was real and what was not, but as her eyes opened and the intense burning of her face throbbed incessantly, the recent past events all came flooding back. The encounter with the Necromancer, the duel with the Shadow, the fog, the flames, the snow, it was like reliving a nightmare.

Yet despite the odds, she had survived

As her eyes adjusted to the light of the burning coals in the centre of the room, Loldirr studied the bizarre medallions, dolls and animal carcasses that littered the room. As various stuffed animals hung from the ceiling, it was apparent that she had been moved to a hut that was barraged by the cold wind.

Loldirr was unsure how to feel. Should she be scared, excited, grateful, disgusted? Each emotion fought furiously against each other, but all were eventually drummed out by her painfully stinging cheek. As she placed her hand on it, it felt rigid and lifeless. Turning to a bucket of water at her side, her reflection echoed the substance that had been smeared over the deep cut.

"How can you be so sure?" a voice could be heard not far from where Loldirr sat.

Turning her head towards the sound, a thin cloth separated her room from the voices in the other.

"You dare ask me that question?" a second voice spoke—a voice, vaguely familiar.

Loldirr's weapons had been removed and were nowhere to be seen. It made her anxious being unarmed in a confined space with at least two unknown individuals, but not as nervous as she would have been nearly one winter ago. With her powers gradually growing, she was still exceedingly dangerous even without a sword and bow.

"Still; an Aex-Igh, they are all dead." the first voice scoffed. His voice was deep and gruff.

"When have I ever been wrong?" the female voice replied.

Being drawn to the voices, Loldirr pushed the curtain aside to be greeted by the elderly woman, and a man who sat eating from a bowl. She immediately noticed his greying brown beard, tangled and bushy, with his long hair twisted into a fancy braid. His frame was stocky and menacing, and his eyes seemed full of fight and anger.

As Loldirr walked in, he immediately reached for an axe by his side, only for the older woman to raise her hand in protest. The woman's clouded eyes did not look, yet it seemed as if she knew everything that was conspiring in the room.

"A warlord knows not to bring death to my home." the woman said instantly causing the man to release the handle of the axe.

Loldirr was on edge, the tips of her fingers red hot and ready, but as the woman raised her hand, it demanded respect and obedience, causing Loldirr to calm her posture.

"It is good that you have eventually risen, Loldirr of House Aex-Igh." the elderly woman responded.

"How do you know..?" Loldirr asked.

"She is the Seer of the Fæordic tribes. There is very little that she does not know." the man interrupted gruffly.

"Sit, young Empress, you have been sleeping for many hours and must regain your strength for what is to come, " the woman said as she pointed to stew and ale in the centre of the room.

Loldirr sat across from the Warlord, aware that his eyes were focused directly on her. His posture and look were extremely hostile, yet it seemed out of pure apprehension. A feeling Loldirr shared mutually.

"You can also remove the tincture from your cheek, " the Seer continued, "your perfect beauty has now been tainted, the scar was deep and will remain. An infection will not be a problem."