iii

note:
dulcet - pleasant, sweet

_________

Every day, Wei Wuxian goes to the heart of Xingshan with the only remaining money he has left.. which isn't a lot. He also asks information about the outside world in the market bustling with outsiders. Due to Wei Wuxian being broke, they also had to plant radishes and potatoes in the backyard of the cottage. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, those days in Burial Mounds helped him a lot when planting. There was no sight of the cloaked man either.
The man also goes to the Demon Slaughter Cave every 3 days to get water from the blood pool. It was important for the ritual to revive Lan Wangji. Just like that, a whole 2 weeks have passed.

_________

If Wei Wuxian isn't wrong, it should be around 3 in the morning when he sat next to Lan Wangji's bed. The bright moonlight oozed inside the cottage, illuminating the second jade's face. Wei Wuxian was mesmerized by him, he looked like a perfectly carved statue. There weren't any blemishes on his face. As if he is a deity.
The black-haired man sat still next to him. He did this every single night until he passes due to lack of sleep.

He called out, "Lan Zhan.. Why did you help me?"

His voice echoed throughout the cottage, he made sure not to wake A-Yuan across the room. Every night, he regretted being in the siege. No, he regretted everything he did in the beginning. If only he didn't walk down the path of demonic cultivation, will everything be alright? Wei Wuxian huffed, "Lan Zhan, when you're awake, do you want to go back to Gusu and take me with you?"

Funny.

He knows that would be impossible, a mere dream, a dulcet dream that Wei Wuxian wants to believe in. When Lan Wangji's eyelashes flutter to open, he's going to be a living corpse. Just like Wen Ning. The jade wouldn't be able to go back to the place he grew up in. He's forever restrained to this small remote place, and it's all Wei Wuxian's fault. He laughed bitterly, "I'm sorry, I can't even protect myself when that disciple aimed his sword at me."

With that, tears started to trickle down once again.

__________

It was around 11 in the afternoon when A-Yuan woke him up. It seemed to be quite urgent. Wei Wuxian had found himself on top of stacks of hay, he must've passed out again in the night before.

A-Yuan shook the man's body as hard as he could, "Xian-gege, he's here! The vegetable cloaked brother is here."

The man instantly sprung awake, a slight dizziness took over him before he steadied himself. "The cloaked man? Where is he?" He asked. A-Yuan led him all the way to outside the cottage. There, stood a man with a light blue silk cloak. There were cloud embroidery on the edges. It didn't take long for Wei Wuxian to know who it is.

"Zewu-Jun."

The cloud embroidery had given up everything. As far as he knows, GusuLan is the only sect to be using such a graceful symbol. The man turned towards them, he pulled down his cloak, fully showing his appearance. His face was beautiful, it was like the exact replica of Lan Wangji, except a slight tender smile decorated his lips. His GusuLan forehead ribbon fluttered around him. Lan Xichen's eyes didn't show any hostility, but it was clear that he was anxious for the past few days.