v

The sniffles had gone a long time ago, leaving them cuddling each other. They finally parted when they heard A-Yuan waking up on his bed. Upon seeing the second jade, A-Yuan beamed with joy. "Brother rich is awake!!"
The boy leaped towards Lan Wangji, the man caught him firmly. Even as a living corpse, the man still didn't understand what to do with a child in his arms. Wei Wuxian must've noticed this because he laughed next to him. It was the first genuine laugh he had ever made in months.

But Lan Wangji couldn't feel anything about the laughing man. The butterflies that rested in his stomach flew away, leaving an empty and cold vessel.

"Aish.. A-Yuan, brother rich has just awoken from his long sleep, are you really gonna bug him like this?" The man chided.

"I do not mind."

Another laugh came from his parted lips. The light that once lingered in Wei Wuxian's eyes returned, "Sure you don't, Lan Zhan!" The man then took A-Yuan unto his arms, putting him unto a cradling position. "Come here."

Wei Wuxian then took the boy to the haystack that served as their dining table. He quickly created a simple meal for the boy. It was nothing more than potato and radish soup. The man in white admired him silently. Wei Wuxian looked different from when they first met in Cloud Recesses, anyone would agree that the man didn't hold any divinity within him anymore. Yet, he still has the same warmth around him, as if it was reluctant to leave the man.
He then quickly sat back next to Lan Wangji with his head resting to one of the bed's legs. They both sat face-to-face with each other, both never breaking eye contact. The silence that immersed them wasn't awkward. Curiosity peaked from Lan Wangji, he asked, "How long have I've been asleep?"

The proper word should be dead, considering how he just survived death's bed.

Wei Wuxian hesitated, he took a deep breath before answering. "13 months."

13 months.

Wei Wuxian had been waiting for Lan Wangji every single night during the 13 months fully knowing that the person who wakes up has a chance of forgetting him. He was willing to wait, those sleepless nights, all of them for the second jade. It seemed impossible, but somehow he did it. Even now, Wei Wuxian was still holding on to the Yunmeng Jiang's motto, attempt the impossible.

Lan Wangji understands that he will never deserve him.

This time, Wei Wuxian moved closer towards him. He sat next to him, it took a moment for Lan Wangji to realize that he rested his head on his shoulder. The man in black glanced sideways to see Lan Wangji's pale hand, he stroked along the new black veins. "Lan Zhan.. Do you feel anything different?" He asked, still lining his veins.

A lot. He wanted to answer. The second jade wasn't himself anymore, only a mere living vessel. His soul was supposed to dissipate and move on to another life, yet it didn't. It continued to stubbornly hold on to life. His voice had gone stiff, harder to control. Emotions that once filled him were gone, he wasn't able to feel his heart clench whenever he sees Wei Wuxian's smiling face.

"Mn." He continued, "I can't feel anything."

The man resting on him seemed to be in deep thought. As Wei Wuxian started to interlace their fingers together, he replied. "I can find a way to fix it. It might take longer than expected, though.."
Lan Wangji shook his head once, enough for only Wei Wuxian to acknowledge.

"I do not mind."

A small chuckle came. "You said that twice already! Really.. You keep saying that you don't mind, but deep inside you actually do huh? Hahaha.."

Lan Wangji opened his mouth in an attempt to protest but was abruptly cut by the other, "Lan Zhan, I just remembered. Your brother should be coming today to teach A-Yuan."
Upon hearing the word brother, Lan Wangji's non-existent heart seemed to drop. He really wasn't expecting the news. It took a while for him to reply.