Chapter 9

"It's an easy job. You have to break into a warehouse by the shipping yard. The only security that will be there is security bots. Should not be too hard to deal with. I need you to take a few pictures of what you find, and report back to me. Feel free to take out the security bots, but I don't want any human casualties," Marie told me.

    "Sounds good. Only a few pictures then? That's it?" I asked.

    "Well, if you can manage it, you could steal a small crate of some items I would like to have," Marie said.

    "Are you kidding love? I can manage it. What does the crate look like?" I asked.

    "The crate should look like this," she said, and pulled out her phone, and went onto her camera roll. She then clicked on a photo. It was a photo of a small crate, metal, and on the side of the crate was a logo of some sort. The logo was a silhouette of a man with a circle around him. The circle was split into quarters like a plus sign. The man and the circle were purple and a light blue with a gradient effect, the colors traversing from one to the next.

    "Interesting logo. I do not think I have seen it before," I said.

    "The logo isn't important. I want you to forget that logo unless it is necessary," Marie said.

    "Okay," I said, and shrugged. Now this may seem suspicious, but this was pretty normal. I don't know the client's names I free unless they tell me themselves. I also don't look at the stuff I steal for Marie. It is none of my business. Like I said before, her business is her own and mine is my own.

    "What would you like in return?" Marie asked.

    "Hmm... let's just say you will owe me a favor," I said. It's always good to have someone owe you something. Gives you leverage. I knew I would need something big from her sooner or later, so occasionally I would do things just for a favor, to collect debt.

    "Okay then. Here is the address. I expect you to deliver before school this morning," she said.

    "So no sleep for me tonight, huh?" I said with a chuckle.

    "Sorry darling. Business is business. Feel free to come by and hop into my bed if you do have time," she said with a wink, gave me a kiss (against my will of course), and walked off.

    "Why'd she have to come back into my life? Not that the information and things I get out of her is bad, it's just... I don't want to go down that path again. Attachment is bad, just like all the movies and books say," I thought to myself. I guess this is where I tell you how we met. Time for a flashback.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I was a lonely orphan on the street. It wasn't long after I earned my powers. Now that I have brought that to your attention, you may wonder, how did I get my powers? Well, my answer is.... Not going to tell you. A magician never tells his secrets. (Also plot convenience). I was hiding in my alley per usual, planning on how I was going to get food. I call it my alley because it was a nice place hidden from sight where the roofs of two shops overlapped, protecting me from the occasional weather. The space was big enough for me to have a sleeping bag and a few minor belongings. I was eleven and a half or so. 

    I was in the rich district of town, and I was looking for suspects to rob. I was climbing on the tops of the roofs, looking at all the rich families. It became late afternoon, and I still had not gotten any money. I was pretty beat up because I had been caught by a group of rich teenage snobs earlier, (I was trying to rob them) and they took turns kicking me until I was limp. I could no longer climb on the rooftops, so I was limping on the streets, dragging my left leg along behind me. Finally, I found an alley, and collapsed. How was I supposed to live? I wanted to die, wanted to be with my mum, my pop, my sis... I didn't have any other family, friends, nothing. My parents wanted it that way. Wanted to start their own genetic tree, my sister and I being the second generation. I didn't know about my healing powers, and I couldn't remember what had really happened to my mum or pop, other than them being dead. The memory was so tramatic at such a young age that I surpressed it. I was ready to give up, when I heard a young girl crying nearby.