His Confusion and the Witch's Plan

Arabella was flabbergasted for a moment before she reached her hand up and slammed it hard against the side of Kaden’s face. His head whipped to the side and he instantly released Arabella. He held his reddening cheek as he turned his head to look at Arabella.

What the hell, woman?”

“That should be my line, Lockes!” Arabella growled in response as she watched anger fill Kaden’s eyes. She folded her arms across her chest and she took several steps back so there was some space between her and the pirate captain. Kaden followed her every movement with narrowed eyes.

“Why the hell did you slap me?” Kaden asked as he rubbed his now sore, red cheek.

“Why the hell did you kiss me?” Arabella retorted in a sharp tone. Arabella pulled her arms tighter against her chest as she waited for Kaden to answer her. Kaden continued to glare at her as he struggled to figure out what had just occurred.

No woman had ever slapped him while he kissed them: at least not while they were still fully clothed.

“Are you going to explain yourself, Lockes? Or are you just going to stand there glaring at me as if it’s my fault?” Arabella questioned in a condescending tone. Kaden didn’t answer her. She scoffed before she turned and started to head toward the stairs.

“Forget I kissed you. Moment of weakness on my part,” Kaden said to her back. Arabella paused before she nodded. Kaden watched her walk down the stairs and head across deck toward her brother and the Leviathan. He was almost grateful to her. She had given him the time he needed to sort out what the hell had just happened and why he was feeling so dejected.

“So, little one,” Ashik started as he turned to face Arabella. She quirked an eyebrow as she finished crossing the few steps that separated her and her brother. Damien looked between her and the Leviathan.

“You are far more intriguing than I originally thought,” Ashik added as Damien let out a disbelieving noise. Arabella frowned. He was saying almost exactly the same thing Kaden said, except the Leviathan clearly was not freaking out. In fact, he seemed genuinely interested in the turn of events. Arabella groaned mentally.

“I am not intriguing and you are not allowed to teach Damien magic. No good will come of it.” Arabella ordered in a tone of finality. Damien opened his mouth to instantly protest but the words never left his lips. He studied her for a moment before realizing that she didn’t want the magic any more than she had wanted her heart stolen.

“Something happened in Lauricia. What was it?”

“Nothing that concerns you, brother. No magic. Now get up in the crow’s nest. I doubt our appearance in Lauricia went unnoticed,” Arabella remarked as she turned to leave the pair alone again. Exhaustion was creeping up on her. She fought the yawn that built up at the back of her throat.

“Yes, ma’am.”

***

Finding a hapless beauty was easy enough for Maera. A simple spell could draw countless women to the seashore and then Maera could have her pick of the litter. After all, all she had to do was change her appearance and promise the insipid, stupid girl everlasting happiness and true love.

It was what all human girls wanted.

She waited until the perfect one flittered to the beach and stared out across the sea, making her impassioned plea for freedom and love. The girl was barely twenty, but her age didn’t matter. It was her appearance. Dark hair lay unbound around her shoulders and her green eyes were twinkling with youth and wonder. She would be perfect for Maera’s plan and none of those idiotic fools would know what hit them.