Chapter Eight

I could make it all feel far away
I would race my age out of this place
Separate
"Pile your clothes for a better run" I was told

Save your life as all you've ever known and ever owned
Novo Amor
(Seneca)
                                _His First July

Chapter Eight

COLBY

Hospitals.

One fact I came to learn about hospitals is that they never run out of patients. Today, someone might break a leg, tomorrow a car accident, and the next a pregnant woman finally going into labor. Hospitals are always busy, you'd see nurses and doctors scrambling all over the place, attending to this patient and taking the other one out of a room cause they didn't make it through an operation, or probably because their body refused to continue fighting whatever disease they once had. 

Another fact is, it can serve as a happy place, and at the same time, a sad place. To me, the hospital is just a place. 

Sitting on the narrow long bed, I watched my Mom talk to Doc right outside. Whatever they were talking about seemed quite important, and it was definitely about me since my Mom kept glancing towards my direction almost as if I'd disappear at any second. I could see the worry in her eyes but as usual, she tried to mask it with a smile. 

If only she knew I could see right through it. 

I looked away, picking up my phone from beside me. 

A smile grazed my lips, my mind wandering back to my stalker act yesterday. I'd almost gotten caught. Although it was still a surprise to me, I had no idea how she knew it was me. There was absolutely nothing on the account that could give my identity away. How did she know? 

Well, it didn't matter anymore, WDiscreet is now history. I deleted it yesterday in panic and I really don't intend to open a new one anytime soon. 

Doc came into the room without my Mom, pulling a chair to sit right in front of me. 

I had gone through all the tests earlier this morning, I didn't bother about the results because the looks on their faces after any of my results came out were basically the same as usual. And no, it wasn't really a good look. It was that kind of slight disapproval, and frustration that takes over your face whenever something isn't improving, but the opposite. 

Doc smiled at me as she took her seat in front of me. 

I would call Doc my second Mom since she always treated me like a son. I'd pretty much gotten used to it. Although she was a few years younger than my Mom, and hated whenever anyone called her by her real name, Christina. She preferred Doc, and honestly, it suited her. 

I returned the smile. "I'm guessing you're about to say something really serious." I said. 

"As a matter of fact I want to." She said. 

"Okay, go on." 

"You know you can talk to me right?" She asked, her eyes speaking caution. 

"Yeah. What's up?" 

"Listen Slugger, today in your tests, I saw something that I've never seen before. Your adrenaline, and cortisol levels are way too high. This means you've been stressing about something really big."