Chapter 8

With Diego at my side, so many things about this job were easier. First of all, no training. If he could do something, he would do it, and not just watch from the sidelines as the newbie struggled.

So he found out exactly where Neil was right then (East building, waiting for Sol to come out of our history class) and we plotted to intercept him.

"Can I take him?" I said, as we crossed the field and neared our prey.

"Take him where?"

"Can I be the one who talks to him?"

Diego wasn't one for talking. I could imagine what he had planned for Neil already, once he saw him. Probably a punch, a chokehold, a "Stop stealing from people, asshole!" and he would consider his work done.

But that meant I didn't get to speak to him, and I didn't get the opportunity to make him my devotee.

Which meant it'll be harder to convince him to stay away from Sol.

"You really want to do this?" Diego asked.

"Yes please."

"But you're not very efficient. This is my job too."

"You can back me up all you want, but I want to take the lead."

He was skeptical, and I couldn't blame him, but I matched his look with what I hoped looked resembled defiance.

"Fine," Diego said. "You do the talking."

"Can you, you know, go to the cafeteria? Just for a few minutes?"

"That's not backup."

"I don't want you hovering around judging how I talk to him."

"I won't judge."

He would so judge, and I didn't want him to jump in and interrupt me before I got the chance to claim Neil. "Please."

Diego shrugged. "Fine. Call me when you're done."

I watched him back away from me, and then walk toward the cafeteria, and then enter the building, before I started on my way again.

Neil had his back turned to me, but I recognized that shock of hair anywhere. It was deliberately wild, sort of a fake mohawk created with hair product, and it stuck out against the background of cork boards that he was facing.

I had it all planned out: I would ask him about Sol, maybe mention her ex to introduce doubt, and then wait for him to admit any insecurities about their relationship. If I couldn't get Sol to summon me, I could probably get him to do it. A confession of feelings would make him mine.

I could tell him in plain words that it would be best for everyone if he and Sol broke up.

And, stop stealing.

He turned and faced me a split second earlier than I was expecting, and my momentum was thrown off a bit.

"Hi, Neil," I said.

"Hi, Hannah," he said, and he reached over to shake my hand. "I'm Neil."

I blinked. "I know," I said.

I didn't think about it too much. I shook his hand.

His fingers felt a little cold.

"Why are your fingers—"

For half a heartbeat, everything looked so bright. No wait, white.