Last Chapter

Even after all of that, Sol hadn't shown up at her mother's party yet. So I asked to be driven back to her house. And found her in her bedroom.

"You're not in a fancy dancing dress," I said.

She wasn't. In fact, she was in pajamas, sitting at her dresser.

"I don't want to move in with him," Sol said.

That was Sol talking to her best friend Hannah.

It was the first I'd heard of this from her, but forgot that I wasn't supposed to know. "I understand."

She looked relieved that she was actually saying this aloud. "It was so... overbearing of him. He insisted on coming here and asking my mom. I mean, how could I ask my mom something like that on the phone? Or even in person? Especially when I didn't want to do it?"

"He can be very convincing."

"I don't know. Really? He just seemed like he was just rushing through everything."

She closed her eyes and I rushed to her side, because that's what best friends did, and I thought she would be crying. But she wasn't.

"I think he stole a car today," Sol said. "That's messed up, isn't it?"

"He needs help."

"I told you that already."

"We're going to make sure he gets help, for real this time. Thank you for telling me about it."

"Good. Good."

I put my arms around her and didn't feel anything goddessy switch on. Didn't see or hear anything. Sol remained immune to me and everyone, as stronger powers intended her to be. It meant I couldn't just make her feel better, make her suffer less, knowing I had just sent away the guy she loved.

Again, not a good time to tell my friend that I was goddess of anything.

"Are you wearing my flamenco dress?" Sol said.

"That's what this is called? It's pretty." I hugged her again—still nothing. "I guess you're not going to the party?"

"Where's Neil?"

I shrugged. "Someone's picked him up. He has to... well, he has to own up to some things. Don't worry about it."

She looked like she actually believed me.

* * *

Robbie was busy that trip too.

He got the job of picking up Quin and Diego from the airport. Those two got on the last flight out of Manila as soon as I told them that I had Neil under control. There may have been more to that conversation but I didn't want to argue, so I just dropped the call as soon as I said my thing.

I may have been feeling a little smug about it.

Then they proceeded to plan my weekend for me, meaning cut it short. Quin would be driving the stolen/borrowed SUV back with Neil and Robbie the next day. Sol would remain in Naga for the weekend.

And Diego and I would be seatmates on the first flight back the next morning.

One hour in a plane with Robbie beside me felt like two minutes. On this particular ride, it felt like Diego was reading that in-flight magazine (prior to takeoff) forever.

"So," I said.

"So," he said.

"You're chaperone to me why?"

"Quin thinks I'll kill the guy once he turns his back."

"Too bad. I liked traveling with Robbie."

"You did great, New Girl. Quin will never tell you that."

"Thank you," I said. "I was hoping you'd notice."

"Oh, I knew you'd figure out something like this eventually."

He said it so matter-of-factly. "Explain that?"

"I have an... effect on people," Diego said, pausing his review of page twenty-eight of his magazine. "I am called upon when people forget why they do what they do. I help them remember."

Being with Diego always did knock some sense into me. But not just that.

"That kiss," I said.

"One method, among others," he said.

"I saw a painting at the National Museum," I started to say, not sure why.

"Maganda's Regret? It's great."

"What happened?"

He flipped to page twenty-nine. "I made the mistake of letting someone realize she was meant for more. And someone wouldn't let her."

"Do you... I mean..."

Diego shut the magazine. "Hannah, I should tell you something. I think you're going to ask something incredibly naïve, like if I never stopped loving her, or if I ever recovered from that. The answer is no, and no, but none of that matters.

"And your next question is, why doesn't it? Because it's not my place, and I don't make my own fate. I want to tell you something about Quin also, which he hasn't told you. There is a story about him, that has survived for very long. The gist of it is, the God of the Sun will love a Mortal, and she will become Immortal with him, and Bathala will let it happen.

"He doesn't tell people this because he doesn't believe it, but what he believes doesn't matter. He is not a master of his own fate. Now the question is, New Girl, do you think this could be you? Do you think, of all the women who have walked and will walk the earth, you would be as extraordinary as the legend says this woman will be?"

He had to have known how this would make me feel. But he said it anyway. "I don't feel extraordinary at all," I said.

Diego shrugged. "Then you have your answer."

The captain announced that we were about to take off, and it was the longest hour of my life.

* * *

Because it was closer, I told the taxi to go to my mom's house in Manila. She wasn't home when I got there, which was just as well, because I wasn't ready for her to yell at me in person just yet.

In the meantime I found my phone and saw a list of text messages from Robbie.

Just woke up. Lunch was spiciest Bicol Express ever.

Switching with Quin. Driving until the next bathroom break.

Quin does not talk in the car. It's very awkward.

I would have smiled, if I weren't still reeling from the info Diego dumped on me earlier. But what did I expect, right? Quin wasn't interested in me. He never said he was, never let me think he was.

I only had my dreams.

If they were even mine.

Silly silly silly girl. The shame of thinking I had a chance rebounded, multiplied, and washed over me.

I didn't want this. Not this. I wish I never heard of it, or Quin, and everything about him.

Exhausted, I crashed on the couch, and woke up because of the loud knocking.

I was still groggy from the nap, so I thought I was imagining it. Vida Castillo was at my door. On a Saturday. At my house in Manila.

"Why are you here?"

She smiled at me. "I am goddess of those who despair. And you've finally called for me."

My wrist started to glow bright silver, in the shape of a chain (not a bracelet apparently), and I remembered that she once put it there.

"You said you're deserving of this power," Vida said. "Now I get to decide if you are to keep it. I've thought of just the challenge for you."

To be concluded