44: House Arrest

Taehyung almost regretted the words as soon as they came out of his mouth. 

"They haven't come back yet?" E blinked in surprise. "What time is it?"

"They should be back soon," Taehyung lied, avoiding eye contact when she looked at him questioningly. "It's late morning."

Taehyung was internally panicking. What was he supposed to do? He couldn't just say, oh, my bad, he actually came and told me you weren't lying and could go home, but I just didn't want to tell you.

And how was he supposed to hide his lie? She would likely keep asking if the messenger had come back, and he can't tell her that they haven't come for very much longer. And of course, there was also the fact that every guard in the castle probably now knew that she was free to go, and would question why she was still in the dungeon.

Clearly, Taehyung hadn't thought this through.

"Oh, okay," E deflated, groaning as she stretched her sore muscles. Laying on the floor, even with a blanket as a cushion, was not good for her back.

Taehyung watched her shoulders droop and the sad look in her eyes, and he felt a twinge of guilt.

"Actually..."

E looked up and Taehyung paused to clear his throat, his thoughts running wild.

"Actually, the guards have been assigned to clean the dungeons," Taehyung smoothly lied, attempting to look the girl in her face. "So... I, uh, have to put you under house arrest."

"House arrest? I don't live here."

"I meant my house," Taehyung bit his lip, feeling nervous that she would see through him. "That way I can keep a close eye on you."

"I've never heard of that happening in any kingdom before," E accused. "Especially not in yours."

"Well, that's because this is the first time the dungeons are being cleaned!" Taehyung crossed his arms. "I told them about your complaint, and they realized we are long overdue for some deep scrubbing. After all, you could totally be dying from a dust allergy at this very moment--"

E laughed, making Taehyung shut his mouth. When she stopped, she looked at him with a soft smile, scrunching her nose.

"You're really funny, buddy. You know that?"

A smile finally crept it's way across Taehyung's face.

"Thanks, kitty. I try."

~~~~~

Jungkook walked back into his room, glancing at Yoongi.

"I tried to extend the invitation to hangout to Jin, but Namjoon told me he probably won't be able to walk for a while."

Yoongi gasped. "Oh no! Did something happen to Jin?"

"Namjoon happened."

Yoongi's eyes widened in realization. "Oh."

"Yeah," Jungkook snickered. "We're on our own today."

"Well, that's okay," Yoongi shrugged.

"Do you want breakfast in bed?"

"Sure," Yoongi smiled. "Afterwards, do you think we could walk around the forest?"

"I don't know," Jungkook bit his lip. "I don't know if I'm comfortable with you leaving the castle this far into the pregnancy."

"Jungkook, you a**!" Yoongi whined and glared. "You literally offered to walk in the forest yesterday! Don't even try to deny it!"

"No, I offered to walk in the garden."