Chapter Twenty-Six

Coming out of wolf form when you've spent time dark was like waking up from a dream you can't remember. Your body shifts back and you are left on two legs, confused as to what happened. The confusion for me lasted all of two seconds before everything crashed into me. My mother had passed away. I hit my knees and cried for the loss of the woman who had birthed me, raised me, loved me. I cried at the pain that tore at my chest at the thought I would never again see her smile, never again hold her hand, give her flowers, or simply bask in her presence.

I knew it was coming but could anyone ever truly prepare for the death of a loved one? I coughed and rubbed at my eyes. Ezekiel and Micheal whined as they moved around me. I coughed again, lingering in the pain of the loss of my mother. I let out a shuddering breath as the two wilds pushed around me, trying to give me comfort. My mother had died and there was a different sensation that twisted my stomach heavily and a wave of apprehension hit me as I realized what I had done.

"Shey." The name was torn from me, guilt and regret tore at my insides as I remembered what I had done, how I had lashed out. I had done more than simply yell at her. I had blamed her. Michael nudged at me and I shook my head, shifting quickly. I needed to find her. I needed to try and fix what I had done. I could practically see the chasm that had opened up between us because of my words. I couldn't lose her too. I had just lost my mother, I couldn't handle losing Shey on top of that.

Shey loved my mother, had adored her and I had accused her of causing her death, of killing her. There was nothing I could have said that would have been worse than that. I had to find her. The bond wrapped around me, making it hard to breathe. It was furious for what I had done, had said to Shey. It was furious that I had damaged my chances at a future and I was furious at the fact I had been so utterly stupid as to accuse her of something so vile.

There was no excuse for my behaviour. No logical reason for it. Yes my mother was gone, she was gone and I would never see her again but lashing out like that had no justification. My wolf whined in the back of my head, he understood it was partially his fault. His uncontrollable anger had exasperated the problem, had dulled my mind, making me lash out at those I loved. At Shey. The pain of losing my mother was intense but the pain I got at the thought of losing Shey was worse. She was to be my future, the one thing I could look forward to through the grief of my loss and I wasn't sure how badly I had ruined my chances.

I couldn't let her go. My wolf paced in the back of my mind, he didn't want to lose her and I wanted to chain him again but he had escaped my first set. He was pushing back harder than normal, feeding off of the intense emotions rolling through me and I had to be careful. He didn't want to lose her and I knew if I pushed him too much we would do something else we would end up regretting.

My paws carried me through the forest. We were at the furthest edge of the territory. Ezekiel and Michael ran beside me, their coats brushing mine, reminding me that they were with me. They sent comfort over our mind link but sadness lingered on the edges of it. My mother's passing would affect many people in the pack. She was well liked through the territory because she was never one to balk at duty or one to withhold kindness. I knew there were quite a few shifters that my mother has presided over their births. It was a show of comfort and solidarity for the female giving birth. Letting her know that despite the difference in power and rank, all the females suffered the same in that.

She had been loved by so many and my chest hurt just thinking about her but finding Shey and ensuring she stayed with me was my only concern at the moment. My mother was gone and I couldn't change that no matter how much I wished too. I could, however, try to make things right with Shey. I ran faster, trying to make it back to the house. The quicker I made it back, the less chance there was of Shey making it further from the territory than she already had. It was morning and she had a good few hours to run. The thought made my heart beat rapidly, sending the organ pounding uncomfortably against my ribs.