iii. big brother jay

📍New York

Rihanna Talks Fenty, That Long-Awaited Album, and President Trump

RIHANNA is ready. First she moved our interview from Thursday to Wednesday. Then from evening to afternoon. When I get word of this latest change, on a slick and humid August day in Los Angeles, I have just enough time to shower and get to the Hotel Bel-Air.

Waiting for Rihanna is practically a journalistic genre all its own. That the Barbadian superstar is now running ahead of schedule seems evidence of her new life as global fashion mogul. Only three and a half years have passed since she presented her first Fenty x Puma collection at New York Fashion Week, a vision of gothleisure delivered to a clamoring world ("if the Addams Family went to the gym" was how she put it). At the time, design was something she was trying on; over the following year, Puma's profits rose by 92 percent.

Since then the 31-year-old has done nothing less than upend the beauty and lingerie industries. In 2017 Fenty Beauty introduced 40 shades of foundation in a business where a dozen was the norm—making a reported $100 million in the first 40 days and nearly $600 million in the first year. Dior, CoverGirl, and Revlon quickly followed, establishing a 40-shade standard now known as "the Fenty effect." (Rihanna upped the ante again this summer with a hydrating foundation in 50 shades, writing on Instagram, "When the foundation takeova ain't ova!") In 2018 she unveiled Savage X Fenty, an intimates line available in many sizes and shades of "nude." (The brand just secured a reported $50 million in new funding.)

Now Rihanna is reimagining fashion at the highest levels. Fenty maison, the Paris-based line she founded with LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and announced this spring, makes Rihanna the first woman to create a brand for LVMH and the first black woman to lead a major luxury fashion house. According to Forbes, it has also made her the wealthiest female musician in the world.

— — — —

"Robyn." Jay said as I walked into his office.

"Shawn." I said as I hugged him then took a seat across from him.

"You know why I called you here?" He asked.

"To dig into my personal life." I answered.

"You know I'm just looking out for you, Rih." He said.

I sighed.

"I know, Jay, but can you at least wait until I come to you and tell you before you start doing investigation on the guy, I'm dating." I said.

He chuckled.

"Nah, I wouldn't be your big brother if I didn't do it." He said.

I playfully rolled my eyes.