Wise Beyond Her Years

"Take the Avatar to the prison hold

"Take the Avatar to the prison hold." The scarred soldier ordered, glaring at Rein.

"You don't have to do that. I told you I'd come with you willingly and here I am. I won't run, I promise." Rein spoke genuinely. She knew that by pretending to be the Avatar it would keep the Fire Nation distracted long enough so Aang could train peacefully. They would let their guard down thinking they had captured the last airbender.

"Prince Zuko, she is just a young girl." An older bearded man said. "You should take her word on it." Kireina looked at the man, nodding thankfully. He met her gaze and sent her a wink. Zuko narrowed his eyes at him, obviously thinking about what he said.

"We cannot trust her, Uncle." Zuko responded. "She's the Avatar."

"Say that with a little more disgust, will you?" Rein spat. "I could easily take you if I wanted to. You're nothing compared to me. You proved that plenty a few minutes ago."

Zuko growled, getting into a firebending stance. "You will regret that."

Kireina smirked then stomped her foot causing a blast of air to hit Zuko's legs. Once again, he fell over. "Hands tied behind my back and I'm still better than you." Before she could strike again, the older man stood between the two benders.

"Please forgive my nephew. May I ask your name, miss?" He spoke calmly. "I am Iroh and this is Prince Zuko."

"Kireina." She answered.

Iroh smiled, "That is Japanese for beautiful. The name fits perfectly, Kireina."

Rein blushed at the compliment, the older man making her feel relaxed and safe. She looked past Iroh to Zuko, who was now standing once again. "Keep scowling like that and you'll get wrinkles, Prince Zuko."

"I should kill you before my father gets the chance."

"Is he the one I thank for killing my kind? Or should I repay him by hurting you?" Rein snapped. "Poor baby, I bet he doesn't even care about you if you're out here hunting me instead of ruling next to him."

For a split second Zuko's face fell, sadness overwhelming his features. But just like that it was gone and replaced by anger, a common theme she's noticed.

"Looks like I hit a nerve." She chuckled. "If people treat you poorly, you shouldn't be begging for their attention. You should make them beg for yours."

Iroh's eyes widened at her words. She spoke like the monks he had met in the past, reminding him of the sayings he relays to Zuko every day. He knew she was the perfect fit for saving Zuko, Rein was wise beyond her years. The way she communicated with him, he just knew his nephew would listen. Zuko responds to assertiveness not the calm voice of his Uncle, it just doesn't do the trick.