Falling

Kireina awoke as the sun peered through the porthole, shining a warm ray of light onto her pale cheeks

     Kireina awoke as the sun peered through the porthole, shining a warm ray of light onto her pale cheeks. Her head was throbbing and her joints ached with every move. She grew tense as recollections of the night prior filled her memory, flashes of the blue masked man infiltrated her mind.

     Her brother's enemy was also their savior? 

     An immense feeling of appreciation overtook Rein, she was so incredibly grateful for Prince Zuko. Her heart practically exploded as she remembered the moment he protected her against the gang of soldiers, how he jumped into the face of danger without a second thought. He didn't even use his firebending throughout the entire battle, simply used his swords with perfection.

     Gathering all the strength she could muster, Rein pushed herself out to the deck in search of Zuko. Sure enough he was found leaning against the rail, gazing angrily at the horizon.

     "Zuko?" Rein spoke, her voice cracking. The Prince jumped at the sound of her morning voice, quickly turning around to face her as she approached him. Zuko was frozen in his spot, he was stuck admiring the beautiful girl. The rising sun's beams of light bounced off of Rein's eyes, making them gleam a warm orange. Her warm brown hair whipped in the wind sending a floral aroma spiraling around the sky.

     Before Zuko could open his mouth to speak, Rein slipped her arms around his waist and pulled his body into hers. He let out a grunt of confusion and surprise but nonetheless returned her embrace willingly. His heart exploded in his chest, beating at such a speed he was sure to go into cardiac arrest.

     In that moment, he felt infinite. As if the world has stopped just for one second, nothing else mattered but the girl he held so carefully in his arms. It was like his worries washed away as she melted deeper into his touch. They remained in a silent hug for a while, just bathing in each other's grasp.

     "You saved Aang, thank you." She whispered into his chest.

     Zuko pulled away to look at Rein, "No, I saved you. I had no idea the Avatar was with you."

     "Still doesn't change the fact that you rescued the both of us, not just me. And I know you had some ulterior motive but, either way, you were a hero." Rein smiled up at him. Zuko blushed and scratched the back of his head nonchalantly.

     "I went to the rhino stables last night to make sure you were okay-"

     "What makes you think I was in the rhino stables?" Rein interrupted, quirking an eyebrow.

     "Because every morning when the crew goes to feed them, they've already been fed and pampered. We know you're the one sneaking them snacks in the middle of the night. It wasn't hard to figure it out, Reina." Zuko chuckled.

     "I can't help it! I fall in love with creatures who are misunderstood! A Komodo Rhino looks beastly and scary but they're really just like big turtle ducks. Kinda like you, Zuko. From the outside you seem angry and unapproachable but I know you're a good guy deep down."